Whooping Cranes at Muskiki Lake

  • sk_fish1
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013
      Today I visited Muskiki Lake to see the Whooping Cranes but this time there were 5 birds, a family of 3(1 young of the year YOY) and a second group of two adults.

      Our trip, (Nick Saunders and Ray Olson) to and from found most waterbodies with American Coots, Gadwall, American Wigeon, lesser number of all species of dabbling ducks, redhead, canvasback, lesser scaup, ringbilled duck, bufflehead and common goldeneye for divers. Piedbilled grebe were common.  Roughlegged hawks,4, were seen numerous Redtailed hawks and one Northern Harrier, brown, so either female of YOY.  Snow geese were in good numbers as were Sandhills cranes around the area.
      A word of caution!!  highway # 2 from turn off to Humbolt has two areas of construction, going to Dana via Aberdeen, Vonda and Prud'homme is not much better construction is ongoing along parts of that highway as well.  The two highways are passable, I made the trip with a Subaru outback.
      Great to get out to see the fall colours, flocks of waterfowl and farmers busy combining the last of their fields.
      Ron in Saskatoon