NW of Swift Current (2013 Sept 27-Oct 3)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2013
      Going to and from Swift Current to work over the past ten days, I am noting a change in critter activity with much less being seen, for the most part.

      Along Highway 32 between the TransCanada Hwy and Fosterton grid road intersection, there have been:

      Ducks (mostly Mallards)
      as many as 9 Swainson's Hawks, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Merlin (on a road sign at Cantuar Sept 27)
      American Coots
      several Rock Pigeons, several Mourning Doves
      a few Black-billed Magpies
      several Western Meadowlarks (including a flock of 16 alongside the highway the morning of Sept 30)
      Flocks of Blackbirds (with 50-200 in a flock)

      at least 40 Pronghorn
      2 White-tailed Deer
      1 Coyote (morning of Sept 30)

      Along the Fosterton grid road up to the Compressor Station, there are:

      a flock of 32 Canada Geese (Sept 30 & Oct 1 mornings)
      Ducks (mostly Mallards and Northern Shovelers)
      3 Northern Harriers, 5 Swainson's Hawks, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Merlin (in the same tree almost every day!)
      American Coots
      4 Sand-hill Cranes (Sept 30)
      a few Rock Pigeons
      a few Mourning Doves
      a few Black-billed Magpies (including a flock of 12 Black-billed Magpies on the road Oct 2 & 3), 1 Common Raven (Oct 3 -same location both morning and late afternoon)
      several Horned Larks
      Western Meadowlarks  (a few stragglers as well as two flocks each consisting of 75+ the late afternoons of Oct 2 & 3 - all on the road)
      a couple flocks of Blackbirds (approx 100 per flock)

      3 Pronghorn

      I don't think I have ever seen so many Western Meadowlarks at once!!!  It was awesome to see such good numbers two days in a row!!!!

      Out at the Compressor Station, we have:

      Flocks of 200+ Greater White-Fronted Geese, Flocks of 100+ Canada Geese -- all flying over
      2 Swainson's Hawks (flying around)
      Flocks of 100+ Sandhill Cranes flying over
      at least 3 Mourning Doves
      at least 1 Northern "Yellow-shafted" Flicker
      4 Black-billed Magpies
      a few American Robins
      several Yellow-rumped "Myrtle" Warblers
      a few White-throated Sparrows, several White-crowned Sparrows
      75+ House Sparrows

      1 Red-sided Garter Snake (Oct 2)
      lots of mice

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current, SK