Re: [Saskbirds] Nashville Warbler Etc

  • Nick Saunders
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013

      Thanks guys, I have friends in the city that have had Hermit and Swainson's Thrush in their yard this fall season.
      I had Swainson's and Gray-cheeked back in May, but alas, nothing right now. I'll have to go look for them, unless they show up in the next few days.
      We had one Fox Sparrow briefly a couple weeks back.

      2 new Harris's Sparrows joined the four already present. I say new, because these two still pretty much have their summer plumage. Both have nice dark faces. Fairly unusual for this time of year..but then again..its been a strange one!

      Cheers,

      Nick

      S'toon

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2013

        On 2013-10-03, at 11:11 AM, Bob <tsb2001@...> wrote:

        Nick
        I have just seen two or the same Swainson"s Thrush twice this fall in spite of regular visits to several park areas. I did see two Hermit Thrushes last week. It has been an unusual migration as there are no Purple Finches at the regular locations. Oddly a Spotted Towhee has been regular at one location. It seems late for this species? Yesterday I saw 7 Mountain Bluebirds near Lumsden Beach. It is getting later for these as well.

        Bob L

        On 2013-10-03, at 9:14 AM, "Nick Saunders" <nikovich@...> wrote:

        Greetings folks,

        After the strong winds over the past two days, my yard has been pretty devoid of bird-life except for a couple of lingering White-throated Sparrows , two Yellow-rumped Warblers, a single Clay-colored Sparrow and a lone American Goldfinch.

        Today is a different story however! It seems that everything has shown up at once, now that the weather has cooled/calmed down.

        As of 10 minutes ago, a very nice first year Nashville Warbler made an appearance with an Orange-crowned Warbler, both of them picking tiny insects that cling to our Dogwoods. I got nice looks at the NAWA and a couple of hurried photos.

        As well as the warblers, 3 Junco's joined 4 Harris's Sparrows, 6 White-throated Sparrows, a Lincoln's Sparrow and 2 juvenile White-crowned Sparrows.

        Several Common Grackles, 3 Purple Finch ( 2 females and a male ) are also hanging around, with 2 American Goldfinch. There are around 7 American Robins, Blue Jays, Flickers and a pair of Downy Woodpeckers that stop by every few days too.

        A few days back, a Merlin AND a Sharp-shinned Hawk buzzed the yard, but I haven't seen them since.

        As yet, I have not seen a single catharus thrush in the yard all fall.

        Cheers

        Nick

        Saskatoon