NW of Swift Current

  • M A
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2013
      Going to and from Swift Current to work over the past ten days, I am noting a change in critter activity with much less being seen, for the most part.

      Along Highway 32 between the TransCanada Hwy and Fosterton grid road intersection, there have been:

      Ducks (mostly Mallards)
      1 Great Blue Heron (flying just south of Cantuar intersection Sept 23 morning)
      1 Northern Harrier, as many as 8-10 Swainson's Hawks, 2-4 Red-tailed Hawks
      several Rock Pigeons, several Mourning Doves
      a few Black-billed Magpies
      several European Starlings
      Flocks of Blackbirds (with 50-200 in a flock)

      1 Red Fox (Sept 17)
      Pronghorn
      White-tailed Deer

      Along the Fosterton grid road up to the Compressor Station, there are:

      a flock of 50+/- Canada Geese (Sept 23 morning)
      Ducks
      2 Northern Harriers, 3-5 Swainson's Hawks, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Merlin
      American Coots
      a few Rock Pigeons
      a few Black-billed Magpies (on Sept 19 there was a flock of 8 Black-billed Magpies on the road), 4 American Crows (last seen Sept 20)
      several Horned Larks
      a flock of 20+ European Starlings
      Western Meadowlarks  (including a flock of 30+ the morning of Sept 20 - all on the road)
      a couple flocks of Blackbirds (approx 100 per flock)

      a few Pronghorn
      1 Richardson's Ground Squirrel (the morning of Sept 16)

      Out at the Compressor Station, we have:

      Flocks of 200+ Greater White-Fronted Geese (flying over Sept 23, 24 & 25), Flocks of 50-100 Canada Geese (flying over Sept 23, 24 & 25)
      2 Swainson's Hawks (flying around)
      5 Mourning Doves
      at least 1 Northern "Yellow-shafted" Flicker
      A few American Robins
      at least 25 European Starlings
      several Yellow-rumped "Myrtle" Warblers
      a few White-throated Sparrows, several White-crowned Sparrows
      a few American Goldfinches
      75+ House Sparrows

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W