Backyard and Local Birding in Saskatoon

  • Nick Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013
      Greetings folks,

      Since the middle of August I have been keeping a list of birds seen in (and from) my backyard.  The list now stands at around 51 species, possibly more.

      Although we had heavy rain at times today, around 11:45am , a flurry of activity was to be seen, with a few lingering warblers : 2 Orange-crowned , a lone Tennessee, and 4 Yellow-rumped, plus a hoard of sparrows, White-throated, White-crowned and Harris's Sparrows. One Chipping Sparrow also showed up later to leaf through the seed on the ground.
      Yesterday a Rose-breasted Grosbeak was at the pond, with 2 male Purple Finch, as well as a pair of Downy Woodpeckers and a family group of 6 American Goldfinch.

      Right now, there are approx. 38 Common Grackles in the yard squawking noisily.
      One thing I have noticed is less Junco's this fall..could just be here though, but we've only had around 5 or 6 individuals.

      Yesterday I birded around some 'wasteland' close to the new south circle bridge where there is a small slough, and some (as-yet) untouched scrub and grass.

      To my surprise I found a Nelson's Sparrow here, the first one I have ever seen within the city that's for sure. At first I thought it was a LeConte's but on further examination, this does indeed look like a Nelson's with a slightly longer bill, gray head and no median crown stripe.

      Also at this location were Lincoln's, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows, 2 Song Sparrows ( one of which was learning to sing ), many Palm Warblers, a few Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warblers, 4 Swainson's Hawks , 2  American Wigeon, several Killdeer, a Sharp-shinned Hawk and a doe Mule Deer.

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Saskatoon