Re: [Saskbirds] Marked Whooping Crane at Tyner

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2013
      Dan, thank you so much for that information. I was wondering about the bands and how to find out about them, especially knowing that ICF and the WRT banded some chicks last year.

      Would you mind if I share this information with the Facebook members of FOTWW (Friends of the Wild Whoopers)? It's not often we get the hear reports about the WB/A whooper population, when they are in their nesting territory, and I know they would love hearing this. I would be sure to not post your name and if you don't wish this shared, I totally understand.

      Thank you again for the information of the marked whoopers.
      Pam

      On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM, <danzaz@...> wrote:

      I got some information from John at the Whooping Crane Hotline about the marked Whooping Crane at Tyner.

      This bird was hatched in the Northwest Territories in the spring of 2012. It migrated to Texas, where it was trapped, banded and fitted with a GPS transmitter last fall/winter.

      Generally, Whooping Cranes don't breed until 3 years of age. This bird as been staying in Saskatchewan this summer, although it wasn't at Tyner in July.

      I did see a photo online, taken near Radisson, that looks to me as if one of the cranes that was there earlier this summer has similar green over white bands on its leg. However, John said the green over white combination has been used fairly often.

      The four cranes at Tyner were busy poking around in disced stubble that had been flooded earlier in the year, and sometimes they pulled up clumps of soil. John said part of the cranes' diet can be tubers and fleshy roots.

      Dan

      Matador, Sk