Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • kathy_hedegard
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2013
      Hi Birders:

      On the weekend, I noticed quite a few Fall birds collecting, including a rarely-seen-here Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  It was a juvenile.

      There are a few Dark-eyed Juncos, White-throated Sparrows, 40-50 Common Grackles, more Am. Robins than usual, and several Yellow-rumped Warblers.

      Around 7:00-7:30 each evening, the Canada Geese fly over from their feeding fields to the water bodies south of town.  Thousands and thousands of birds, in small flocks of 15 or so.

      I heard a flock of Snow Geese flying in the middle of the night, ahead of the last cold front.

      Black-capped Chickadees, both White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches and House Finches have been very active around the sunflower seed feeders.  And the Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers have started coming to a peanut butter feeder I put out last week.

      Val Thomas is doing much, much better now after her knee-replacement.  Walking is still not easy for her - more like, it is harder for her to stick to the doctor's strict orders not to exert herself.  She says there is still the occasional hummingbird at the farm along with an Eastern Phoebe.  Two Brown Creepers have recently arrived.  She also says:  "A Sharp-shinned Hawk lands here and there. Two Northern Harriers are patrolling the field south of our place. A Great-blue Heron soared in two evenings ago and landed on the dugout behind the banks. It's nice to sit at the windows now and look out once in a while."

      I am posting this from our yahoo Saskbirds site.  It is a little different from the old look, but generally I don't see too much problems navigating, just a matter of getting used to where to find things and the new 'labels',  Now, will the smiley face emoticon appear in the message?

      Happy Fall
      Kathy in Estevan