RE: [Saskbirds] A new one for Saskatoon

  • Shadick, Stan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
      Pete,

      I believe your bird might be a female or immature Alexandrine Parakeet, which we saw in India last winter. Does it have a red shoulder patch?
      As Saskatchewan is about as far as one can travel from India, I assume it is an escaped bird.

      Stan Shadick

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
        Hi Stan,

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Shadick, Stan" <stan.shadick@...> wrote:

        > Pete,
        >
        > I believe your bird might be a female or immature Alexandrine Parakeet, which we saw in India last winter. Does it have a red shoulder patch?

        Yes, here's another photo:
        http://members.shaw.ca/digipete/Parakeet_wp_1309_6840.jpg

        > As Saskatchewan is about as far as one can travel from India, I assume it is an escaped bird.

        Must be. They'd also have a hard time surviving here to grow into flocks of several thousand like the parakeets in London, England.

        Pete