Re: Website

  • el_supremo01
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2013
      I am somewhat mystified by the discussion in this group, and others, about changes. I access my groups via the web with Firefox and I don't see any difference. Am I one of the lucky ones or am I just behind the times somehow?

      Pete
      Saskatoon
    • Nick Saunders
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2013
        Pete, I have been using Firefox for years now, and Saskbirds now looks like a forum, with conversations grouped into sections, with only the first post from each topic visible..

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2013
          From the FAQ link I posted earlier

          Regarding "Reply to" Options:

          Apparently, no matter the group default setting, "Reply" to a post
          works in this way: Hitting the <reply> button in "Messages" mode
          generates automatically a reply to sender, even if sender is oneself.
          <Reply> in "Topics" mode creates a reply to Group. In both cases it
          is alterable by clicking on the small box upper right above the msg
          compose pane. "Show more" comes up on mouseover. Click that and we
          get the "To:" field and other stuff above, then in the "To:" field,
          the drop-down menu comes with the little down-arrow offering all
          three "To" options, ie to Group, Sender and Owner.

          At 03:14 9/1/2013, you wrote:
          >So, when I tried to reply the site makes it appear that I am only
          >replying to one person, not the group. So in order to insure the
          >post is for the group I have to post a new message. I am tech savy,
          >but this change makes no sense whatsoever and takes way to much time
          >to figure out. Whos brainchild this was....I hope they do not
          >receive a pay bonus for this mess.
          >Greg in Regina

          Bruce Wilson
          Barrie, Ontario
          Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
          Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
          Member Bird Studies Canada Member Ontario Bird Banding Association

        • b_quiring
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2013
            The group also locks out non-members from seeing content.  What ever happen this seems like quite the step backward.     Brett Regina --- In saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, <wilsonb@...> wrote: From the FAQ link I posted earlier

            At 03:14 9/1/2013, you wrote:
            >So, when I tried to reply the site makes it appear that I am only
            >replying to one person, not the group. So in order to insure the
            >post is for the group I have to post a new message. I am tech savy,
            >but this change makes no sense whatsoever and takes way to much time
            >to figure out. Whos brainchild this was....I hope they do not
            >receive a pay bonus for this mess.
            >Greg in Regina

            Bruce Wilson
            Barrie, Ontario
            Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
            Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
            Member Bird Studies Canada Member Ontario Bird Banding Association

          • gpkgreg
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2013
              Yes it is very unfortunate what they did to this site
            • Bruce Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2013
                The owmer/moderator can make the changes. They need to click on
                Management at the right end of the toolbar below the cover photo and
                then select Control Panel and then Access Control to set up the new settings.

                At 23:27 9/1/2013, you wrote:
                >The group also locks out non-members from seeing content. What ever
                >happen this seems like quite the step backward
                > Brett Regina

                Bruce Wilson
                Barrie, Ontario
                Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
                Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
                Member Bird Studies Canada Member Ontario Bird Banding Association
              • kmscouts
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2013
                  I assume we can change the image too.  I get a great shot of a cyclist but not very birding oriented.
                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2013
                    Yes:

                    1st thing you need is an image that is 1025 x 200 max or in a ratio
                    for that if smaller at 96 dpi. Mouse over the yahoops image at the
                    centre of the right side and a box Change Cover appears. Click it
                    and then select you cover image and OK. If you are happy with the way
                    it looks Click save and you are done.

                    I have used photo editing software to work with images to get the to
                    250 max height and then create a canvas size 1025 x 250 and place the
                    image where it want it usually centre of right side so it does not
                    interfere with the group description on lower the left.