regina am yesterday

  • Jim Nordquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013
      I was on my way home at about 11:30am,on my bike with headphones in , I know,i know, not the safest thing to do. But they weren’t loud enough to stop me hearing a bunch of birds obviously alarmed about something in an elm tree. I got off ,stood and listened a bit. I could hear nuthatches and other small birds. I could also hear a louder “feh- Bue”. I had bins in my pocket,did I take them out? No,idiot. I walked over to the tree ,i could see the little birds scrambling around ,I just couldn’t get a look at Mr. Feh Bue. A crow size raptor bursts out of nowhere and rockets off to the par three golf course just north of me. I speed dial Bob Luterbach while details are fresh in my memory. He is in the sandhills chasing thrashers(unbeknownst to me at the time). He can’t place it ,so I go home and run through my most likely suspects. Nothing. Oh well another UFO. Today as I was walking into a store,my phone rang. It was Bob,he had not forgotten my mystery bird. He suggested I try red shouldered hawk. I have a phone with a sibley app in it so I could play a red shouldered hawk call. nope not it. Try a broadwinged hawk,bingo. So by ear and with help from Bob L and my sibley app,i heard a broadwinged hawk. not a lifer but only second time seeing one.
      Jim Nordquist
      Regina Sask
      PS the phone with the sibley app is the same one with the earphones that I was listening to when this story started