Re: [Saskbirds] Sage Thrashers at Great Sandhills

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30 5:19 PM
      From Parking Lot take trail west ( actually northwest) until you reach edge of bare sand dune). Then walk southwest along edge of sandy dune where it intersects with vegetated ridge which runs parallel to the south of parking lot . Near the top watch for burrows and distinctive tracks ( tail drags) of the strictly nocturnal Ord"s Kangaroo Rat.

      To the southwest is the Valley previously described. The bird we saw was in a series of somewhat scattered chokecherry shrubs along the steep curving west to southwest edge of the Valley. It was observed foraging on berries near a Brown Thrasher. This bird is extremely wary often motionless sitting in the interior of a bush or dropping down to run in the cover. You will know you are in the correct area if you follow the cliff edge near the groves of tall chokecherries. This area is relatively close ( west) to where you would likely descend from the ridge after scaling the dune and ridge. If this is unclear, contact again

      Bob L