Condie /Brown's Slough over the weekend.

  • lilliankaye@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013
      Did some birding just NW of Regina Sat a.m. from 8 to 10:45

      CONDIE:
      (heard) at least 2 Song Sparrows on the way in
      Clay Coloured Sparrows - at least 6
      (heard) Gray Catbird - 3 locations
      American Robins - at least a half dozen
      Mourning Doves - around 25
      American Goldfinches heard a few and saw a few
      House Wrens 2 - same trees as CCSP
      Brewers Blackbirds
      Blue-winged Teals
      Double-crested Cormorants at least 5
      Black Terns
      Spotted Sandpiper (the Solitary Sandpipers I saw the last few times weren't there)
      at least 4 Killdeer
      heard "ch-Bik"s - poss Least Flycatcher
      a couple of young Pied-billed Grebes
      A Snow Goose with a Canada Goose was across the lake (down by the 2nd washroom/2nd parking lot, SE side) and on the far shore.
      Eared Grebes
      Barn Swallows
      1 Eastern Kingbird
      Cedar Waxwings -quite a few

      The Blue-winged Teal were literally scum sucking... little vacuum cleaners and the green disappeared! Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MieQA9ESp_E

      S of Shooting Range (fence W of road at top of hill)
      Western Kingbird
      Mourning Doves

      Turnoff from Condie Rd (RR 2205) to West (twp 184) heading to Brown's Slough:
      a brown weasel passed right in front of me, running across the road! About 3x the length of a squirrel and extremely small/skinny/very long tail. I checked images online and yep - that was it.

      Brown's Slough:
      Horned Larks on the way in from the South
      Northern Harrier crusin' around the NW side
      Coots & young
      Ruddy Ducks and ducklettes :)
      The young were bobbin' around and along came a Coot, the little Ruddy took off, beak open, and the 2nd got a peck on the back for hanging around! Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI9TXbwXauo
      (heard) a Sora, once at S end, once near N end.
      Blue-winged Teals

      N of Brown's Slough
      2 Western Kingbirds at the W fences by Old hwy 11

      Fran K from Regina