The probable Western Gull seen again at Regina

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      This bird seen on the ice of Wascana Marsh again this evening. Jared Clarke,
      Dan Sawatzky and I were able to study it careful for more than an hour
      before it flew away with other gulls for the evening at dusk. We were able
      to see the primaries and underwings as it flew. The primary pattern does
      appear to be correct for the Western Gull. It has a single mirror on the
      first primary. It definitely is not a Slaty-backed Gull.

      Although this gull displays all the visible field marks of a Western Gull
      ,we still haven't been able to see the color of the eye ring . It is
      possible that it is a hybrid. We will attempt to video this bird to get
      other opinions.

      In addition to the "gull "and approximately 100 others, including a few
      Herring, many California and an increasing number of Ring-billed Gulls were
      more than a 1,400 Canada Geese. Also present was a single Ross' Goose, two
      White-fronted Geese and two Blue phase Snow Geese. All of these were at the
      Wascana Marsh, north of the University.

      Good Birding !
      Bob Luterbach