Birding at Lake Charron

  • Ryan Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013
      Hello all,

      I went camping for two nights at Lake Charron Regional Park this past weekend (near Naicam), located on an island in the middle of the lake. These are the birds I noted while I was there:

      American Robins
      American Goldfinches (heard, not seen)
      American Redstarts (females and/or juveniles)
      Baltimore Oriole x 1 (male)
      Barn Swallows (nesting - there were 5 chicks in the nest - isn't it late in the season for that?)
      Black Terns (varying plumages)
      Black-and-white Warbler x 1 (female - only the second one I've ever seen!)
      Black-capped Chickadees
      Buffleheads (juveniles)
      Canada Geese (heard flying overhead)
      Cedar Waxwings
      Eastern Kingbird x 1
      Eastern Phoebes x 2
      Gray Catbirds (heard, not seen)
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Horned Grebe x 1
      Killdeers (at least 11 of them in a single group)
      Lesser Yellowlegs x 2
      Mallards (females and/or juveniles)
      Mourning Doves (heard, not seen)
      Northern Flickers
      Northern Shoveler x 1 (female or juvenile)
      Pied-billed Grebes (juveniles)
      Purple Finches x 2
      Purple Martins (lots!)
      Red-breasted Nuthatch x 1 (heard, not seen)
      Red-necked Grebes
      Spotted Sandpipers (fall/winter plumage)
      Wilson's Warbler x 1 (female or juvenile)
      Yellow Warblers
      Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers (juveniles)

      There were also thousands of small Wood Frogs on the island. It was difficult to not step on them!

      Ryan in Saskatoon