RE: [Saskbirds] Re: white-faced ibises

  • bobluterbach
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10 7:31 PM
      Alaina
      uncertain just how many remain at that Yellow Grass location as just a
      couple were reported along the northern third recently. of the Yellow
      Grass Grid.(# 621)

      There are/were 15+ and perhaps as many as 21 at the powerline slough
      complex southeast of Regina on Range Road # 190.

      Enjoy birding
      Bob Luterbach
      Regina

      On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 20:45:00 -0400, Alaina Armbruster
      <alainala@...> wrote:
      Any idea if they are still around Yellowgrass? thats that 621 grid road right?

> [...]
      > nested successfully at Chaplin Marsh and probably elsewhere. > > Good
      > birding
      >
      > > Bob L

      > bird yesterday, then a group of four and finally 15 at the end of the
      > day around 7 pm yesterday. They would fly in circles several times
      > before landing. Going through my images in greater detail I estimate
      > that there were 4 adults out of 15. I will post more images. The
      > adults are more rusty in colour, have a longer more curved beak and
      > show signs of molting. Please have a look tomorrow and let me know
      > what you think. It is good to see juvenile WFIBs in Saskatchewan
      > although they may have been born in Alberta or Manitoba. I am
      > wondering if the marsh would have been large enough for them to have
      > been born there. > > > > Bernard. Regina.

      > route. This time, I took Range Road 190 travelling south from #
      > 33.until I reached the marsh complex near the larger metal hydro
      > towers. (Beware that some of the municipal road signs in this area
      > inexplicably feature four rather than three digits!?

      > on a southeast to northwest axis following the hydro line, The
      > western ones near Rowatt have been drained by a larger project
      > completed last winter which created channels as wide and deep as the
      > irrigation canals in Alberta. Cinema Six is the only remaining
      > accessible wetland in this section. It, too, is being filled and
      > drained. > > > > > > I saw a minmum of 5 dark Ibises including seeing
      > three flying in the distance while I was viewing two others, nearby..
      > Later, I ,and others, saw an obvious juvenile bird (bill markings)
      > which flew in from the north.I also saw some other distant singles or
      > pairs of birds in flight later in the area. My total count is a very
      > conservative one.The two WFIB adults that I saw well were moulting, >
      > Ibises which ' may' appear post breeding stragglers. > > > > > > I
      > flushed a South-eared Owl on the edge of # 190 approx 1 mile south of
      > the intersection with # 33. I know we are on the metric system;
      > however, the road intersections are measured in miles. > > > > > >
      > Other species of note, here or nearby, included, several single
      > Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which
      > was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot
      > families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American
      > Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also
      > Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails

      > afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from
      > Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right
      > onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is
      > reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of
      > the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite
      > visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some
      > photos tomorrow. > > > > > > Bernard. Regina. > > > > > > > > > > > >

    • Alaina Armbruster
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10 8:47 PM
        Dang, Unfortunately thats an extra hours worth of driving for me.. ah well.. thank you!

        Alaina

        To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
        From: tsb2001@...
        Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 20:31:23 -0600
        Subject: RE: [Saskbirds] Re: white-faced ibises

        <alainala@...> wrote:

> [...]

        > Other species of note, here or nearby, included, several single

        > Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which

        > was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot

        > families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American

        > Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also

        > Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails

        > afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from

        > Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right

        > onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is

        > reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of

        > the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite

        > visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some

        > photos tomorrow. > > > > > > Bernard. Regina. > > > > > > > > > > > >

      • bernardtremblay
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 10 9:22 PM
          Alaina,

          The 5 white-faced ibises I saw (around Yellow Grass) on Thursday August 8th were not along 621 grid road but 8 kms west of the 621 grid road on Township road 102 which passes just to the north of Yellow grass. There was an intersection at the location of the marsh.

          Bernard. Regina.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11 9:21 AM
            I think the Yellow Grass birds will be around for a week or so. Just added Regina birds in case you were coming this way.

            Bob L

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 11 9:24 AM
              Bernard
              Received an update from Carol Bjorklund re the Yellow Grass Grid which I forwarded. Nice to know there are other locations though.

              Bob L