white-faced ibises

  • bernardtremblay
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2013
      I finally got to see white-faced ibises (a lifer) this afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some photos tomorrow.

      Bernard. Regina.
    • bobluterbach
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2013
        This morning, I travelled to the' Ibis location' by another route. This time, I took Range Road 190 travelling south from # 33.until I reached the marsh complex near the larger metal hydro towers. (Beware that some of the municipal road signs in this area inexplicably feature four rather than three digits!?

        The shallower wetlands here are part of a number of these on a southeast to northwest axis following the hydro line, The western ones near Rowatt have been drained by a larger project completed last winter which created channels as wide and deep as the irrigation canals in Alberta. Cinema Six is the only remaining accessible wetland in this section. It, too, is being filled and drained.

        I saw a minmum of 5 dark Ibises including seeing three flying in the distance while I was viewing two others, nearby.. Later, I ,and others, saw an obvious juvenile bird (bill markings) which flew in from the north.I also saw some other distant singles or pairs of birds in flight later in the area. My total count is a very conservative one.The two WFIB adults that I saw well were moulting,

        I am checking all dark ibises searching for vagrant Glossy Ibises which ' may' appear post breeding stragglers.

        I flushed a South-eared Owl on the edge of # 190 approx 1 mile south of the intersection with # 33. I know we are on the metric system; however, the road intersections are measured in miles.

        Other species of note, here or nearby,  included, several single Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails

        Enjoy your birding
        Bob L
        Regina.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2013
          Bob, Good that you saw the white-faced ibises. I first saw one bird yesterday, then a group of four and finally 15 at the end of the day around 7 pm yesterday. They would fly in circles several times before landing. Going through my images in greater detail I estimate that there were 4 adults out of 15. I will post more images. The adults are more rusty in colour, have a longer more curved beak and show signs of molting. Please have a look tomorrow and let me know what you think. It is good to see juvenile WFIBs in Saskatchewan although they may have been born in Alberta or Manitoba. I am wondering if the marsh would have been large enough for them to have been born there.

          Bernard. Regina.

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

          > This morning, I travelled to the' Ibis location' by another route. This time, I took Range Road 190 travelling south from # 33.until I reached the marsh complex near the larger metal hydro towers. (Beware that some of the municipal road signs in this area inexplicably feature four rather than three digits!?
          >
          > The shallower wetlands here are part of a number of these on a southeast to northwest axis following the hydro line, The western ones near Rowatt have been drained by a larger project completed last winter which created channels as wide and deep as the irrigation canals in Alberta. Cinema Six is the only remaining accessible wetland in this section. It, too, is being filled and drained.
          >
          > I saw a minmum of 5 dark Ibises including seeing three flying in the distance while I was viewing two others, nearby.. Later, I ,and others, saw an obvious juvenile bird (bill markings) which flew in from the north.I also saw some other distant singles or pairs of birds in flight later in the area. My total count is a very conservative one.The two WFIB adults that I saw well were moulting,
          >
          > I am checking all dark ibises searching for vagrant Glossy Ibises which ' may' appear post breeding stragglers.
          >
          > I flushed a South-eared Owl on the edge of # 190 approx 1 mile south of the intersection with # 33. I know we are on the metric system; however, the road intersections are measured in miles.
          >
          > Other species of note, here or nearby,  included, several single Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails
          >
          > Enjoy your birding
          > Bob L
          > Regina.
          >
          > On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 04:04:25 -0000, bernardtremblay wrote:
          >
          >   I finally got to see white-faced ibises (a lifer) this afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some photos tomorrow.
          >
          > Bernard. Regina.

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
            "south-eared owl" would be a lifer for me. :-)

            I can say this as I'm the guy who can't seem to spell "burrowing owl" right and keep saying "boreal owl" Having said that, a short eared owl would be a FOY for me.

            Kevin in Regin

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
              Bernard
              It is so difficult to know just where they were fledged. They have nested successfully at Chaplin Marsh and probably elsewhere.

              Good birding
              Bob L

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
                Today,Carol Bjorklund reported seeing 21 White-faced Ibises at the Yellow Grass Marsh.

                Good numbers apparently appearing now at these location. One wonders just how many are now in the Province?

                She also reports two Black necked Stilts among other species observed today along the Yellow Grass Grid.

                Enjoy birding
                Bob L

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
                  Kevin

                  Darn auto correct! Southern maybe the local subspecies:-)

                  This morning there were two SEOW s along # 190 at one mile south of intersection with # 33. (Same location as yesterday.) Another was perched on a sign approx another mile south of the first location
                  Enjoy birding
                  Bob L

                  On 2013-08-06, at 8:10 AM, "Kevin" <kmscouts@...> wrote:

                  > "south-eared owl" would be a lifer for me. :-)
                  >
                  > I can say this as I'm the guy who can't seem to spell "burrowing owl" right and keep saying "boreal owl" Having said that, a short eared owl would be a FOY for me.
                  >
                  > Kevin in Regin
                  >
                  > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This morning, I travelled to the' Ibis location' by another route. This time, I took Range Road 190 travelling south from # 33.until I reached the marsh complex near the larger metal hydro towers. (Beware that some of the municipal road signs in this area inexplicably feature four rather than three digits!?
                  > >
                  > > The shallower wetlands here are part of a number of these on a southeast to northwest axis following the hydro line, The western ones near Rowatt have been drained by a larger project completed last winter which created channels as wide and deep as the irrigation canals in Alberta. Cinema Six is the only remaining accessible wetland in this section. It, too, is being filled and drained.
                  > >
                  > > I saw a minmum of 5 dark Ibises including seeing three flying in the distance while I was viewing two others, nearby.. Later, I ,and others, saw an obvious juvenile bird (bill markings) which flew in from the north.I also saw some other distant singles or pairs of birds in flight later in the area. My total count is a very conservative one.The two WFIB adults that I saw well were moulting,
                  > >
                  > > I am checking all dark ibises searching for vagrant Glossy Ibises which ' may' appear post breeding stragglers.
                  > >
                  > > I flushed a South-eared Owl on the edge of # 190 approx 1 mile south of the intersection with # 33. I know we are on the metric system; however, the road intersections are measured in miles.
                  > >
                  > > Other species of note, here or nearby, included, several single Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails
                  > >
                  > > Enjoy your birding
                  > > Bob L
                  > > Regina.
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 04:04:25 -0000, bernardtremblay wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I finally got to see white-faced ibises (a lifer) this afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some photos tomorrow.
                  > >
                  > > Bernard. Regina.

                • Alaina Armbruster
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
                    Any idea if they are still around Yellowgrass? thats that 621 grid road right?

                    Alaina in Manor

                    To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com

                    On 2013-08-06, at 5:10 PM, Bob <tsb2001@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    > > > Enjoy your birding

                    > > > Bob L

                    > > > Regina.

                    > > > On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 04:04:25 -0000, bernardtremblay wrote:

                    > > > I finally got to see white-faced ibises (a lifer) this afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some photos tomorrow.

                  • bobluterbach
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
                      Alaina
                      uncertain just how many remain at that Yellow Grass location as just a
                      couple were reported along the northern third recently. of the Yellow
                      Grass Grid.(# 621)

                      There are/were 15+ and perhaps as many as 21 at the powerline slough
                      complex southeast of Regina on Range Road # 190.

                      Enjoy birding
                      Bob Luterbach
                      Regina

                    • Alaina Armbruster
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
                        Dang, Unfortunately thats an extra hours worth of driving for me.. ah well.. thank you!

                        Alaina

                        To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
                        From: tsb2001@...
                        Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 20:31:23 -0600

                        <alainala@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > Other species of note, here or nearby, included, several single

                        > Upland Sandpipers, Yellowlegs of both species and a Marsh Wren which

                        > was singing the Eastern song as expected. Tons of American Coot

                        > families of all ages classes are here plus many duck broods, American

                        > Avocets,plus a few Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes. There are also

                        > Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the cattails

                        > afternoon in a marshy area reached by heading east starting from

                        > Rowatt, along Township Road 162, until it ends and then turning right

                        > onto Range Road 190 and driving south for 3 kms until a power line is

                        > reached. The 14 white-faced ibises were located at the north end of

                        > the marsh area. They were not hidden in any reeds and were quite

                        > visible. The birds have started their molting. I will post some

                        > photos tomorrow. > > > > > > Bernard. Regina. > > > > > > > > > > > >

                      • bernardtremblay
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
                          Alaina,

                          The 5 white-faced ibises I saw (around Yellow Grass) on Thursday August 8th were not along 621 grid road but 8 kms west of the 621 grid road on Township road 102 which passes just to the north of Yellow grass. There was an intersection at the location of the marsh.

                          Bernard. Regina.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 11, 2013
                            I think the Yellow Grass birds will be around for a week or so. Just added Regina birds in case you were coming this way.

                            Bob L

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 11, 2013
                              Bernard
                              Received an update from Carol Bjorklund re the Yellow Grass Grid which I forwarded. Nice to know there are other locations though.

                              Bob L