Brown-headed cowbird brood parasitism

  • bernardtremblay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2013
      I photographed at Condie reserve a female yellow warbler feeding a juvenile brown-headed cowbird. Every minute or she would bring insects to the bird about two to three times her size. I posted two photos recently. In one photograph the warbler seems to be wondering about the size of its nestling. I read that the yellow warblers are among the most parasitized birds by brown-headed cowbirds however eventually the warblers start recognizing the eggs and burying them deeper in the nest where the temperature is lower which reduces their chance of hatching. I find that the more I read about birds the more I ask myself questions about their behaviour.