Grids South and East of Regina, July 29, 2013 a.m.

  • auntielyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2013
      Cloudy morning--decided to check out Cinema 6 slough and grids east. Haven't made a detailed list yet but my best birds were a Semipalmated Plover at Cinema 6 slough, 3 Upland Sandpipers on RR south of Horse Farm, Short-eared Owl on RM sign at east end of Cinema 6 grid. Swainson's Hawks and Merlins were very much in evidence today.

      Laurie from Lakeridge, Regina
    • Val T
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
        Hi Laurie. When you mentioned Swainson's Hawks by Regina, we were seeing 40-50 or more Red-tailed Hawks on every trip between Corrine and Regina until two weeks ago and now the Red-tailed numbers are down to about 20 average. Anyway we don't usually see a hawk closer to Regina but a Swainson's was sitting on a pole yesterday about 12 poles south on the west side. An Upland Sandpiper was sitting on the power wire between the poles. Yellow Grass hasn't as much to offer this year as last year but all drives are still interesting. :-)

        Val T - McTaggart