Re: Echo birdies

  • lilliankaye@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
      ok - regarding the below's " Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks." ... well I suppose if I put a link to the sound, I might find out what kind of bird this bird call matches up with! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9XB-WuhYU

      Fran :)

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "lilliankaye@..." <lilliankaye@...> wrote:

      > From camping at Echo Valley campground, the 2nd week of July, and walking the Echo Valley Interpretive Nature trail, (located at the bottom of the hill, Pasqua Lake side, road near the "hole in the wall" group campsite, trail head is marked).... there were a lot of great birds.
      >
      > The Nature Trail had a family of Ruffed Grouse, but I only videod the parent bark/squeaking at her young from the bushes... then a different "bark" to call them back when I moved out of sight but still was within hearing distance.
      >
      > An American Redstart is calling to another and preening (two videos) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpS3biI3IQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCYUr1jUgk
      >
      > and at the top of the hill (there were redstarts up there too)... a Spotted Towhee stopped in the campsite...got a quick vid as it came and went at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RropUhzIYBw
      >
      > a Red-eyed Vireo is singing, with a Veery calling in the background (Thanks Kim and Bob for helping me with ID's) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8Lt7lxJX8
      >
      > Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks.
      >
      > Goldfinches, chickadees (the young are sweet! salt and pepper chests instead of white!) magpies, chipping and vesper sparrows, a family of crows (there's a nature trail linking the Aspen to Valleyview campgrounds on the East side of the park at the top of the hill), flycatchers on the nature trail, pelicans (counted 19 on Pasqua Lake one morning), watching robins pulling at saskatoons was a delight as their weight had some ungracefully falling off the branches in their efforts. Ring-billed gulls on Echo Beach, sapsucker tree damage, Downy woodpeckers were there. Not a lot of mourning doves around.
      >
      > Fran K from Regina

    • Shadick, Stan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
        I suspect the bird singing at the times mentioned is a Spotted Towhee.

        Stan Shadick

        ok - regarding the below's " Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks." ... well I suppose if I put a link to the sound, I might find out what kind of bird this bird call matches up with! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9XB-WuhYU

        Fran :)

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "lilliankaye@..." <lilliankaye@...> wrote:

        > From camping at Echo Valley campground, the 2nd week of July, and walking the Echo Valley Interpretive Nature trail, (located at the bottom of the hill, Pasqua Lake side, road near the "hole in the wall" group campsite, trail head is marked).... there were a lot of great birds.
        >
        > The Nature Trail had a family of Ruffed Grouse, but I only videod the parent bark/squeaking at her young from the bushes... then a different "bark" to call them back when I moved out of sight but still was within hearing distance.
        >
        > An American Redstart is calling to another and preening (two videos) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpS3biI3IQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCYUr1jUgk
        >
        > and at the top of the hill (there were redstarts up there too)... a Spotted Towhee stopped in the campsite...got a quick vid as it came and went at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RropUhzIYBw
        >
        > a Red-eyed Vireo is singing, with a Veery calling in the background (Thanks Kim and Bob for helping me with ID's) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8Lt7lxJX8
        >
        > Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks.
        >
        > Goldfinches, chickadees (the young are sweet! salt and pepper chests instead of white!) magpies, chipping and vesper sparrows, a family of crows (there's a nature trail linking the Aspen to Valleyview campgrounds on the East side of the park at the top of the hill), flycatchers on the nature trail, pelicans (counted 19 on Pasqua Lake one morning), watching robins pulling at saskatoons was a delight as their weight had some ungracefully falling off the branches in their efforts. Ring-billed gulls on Echo Beach, sapsucker tree damage, Downy woodpeckers were there. Not a lot of mourning doves around.
        >
        > Fran K from Regina

      • nikovich71
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
          It could be a Spotted Towhee Fran..

          Cheers,

          Nick
          S'toon

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2013
            Thanks, Stan; from your reply I went through all the calls on Dendroica and Cornell's "all about birds" and listened to all the calls for the Spotted Towhee. Although none are the trill with the squawk at the end, two calls have very close trills matching. I'll go with that! (sorry for the delay in response).

            Fran K

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2013
              Thanks Nick! Appreciate it when hearing from more than one experienced birder, sort of really cements it in.

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "nikovich71" <nikovich@...> wrote:

              > It could be a Spotted Towhee Fran..
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Nick
              > S'toon
              >

              > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "lilliankaye@" <lilliankaye@> wrote:
              > >
              > > ok - regarding the below's " Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks." ... well I suppose if I put a link to the sound, I might find out what kind of bird this bird call matches up with! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9XB-WuhYU
              > >
              > > Fran :)
              > >
              > > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "lilliankaye@" <lilliankaye@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > From camping at Echo Valley campground, the 2nd week of July, and walking the Echo Valley Interpretive Nature trail, (located at the bottom of the hill, Pasqua Lake side, road near the "hole in the wall" group campsite, trail head is marked).... there were a lot of great birds.
              > > >
              > > > The Nature Trail had a family of Ruffed Grouse, but I only videod the parent bark/squeaking at her young from the bushes... then a different "bark" to call them back when I moved out of sight but still was within hearing distance.
              > > >
              > > > An American Redstart is calling to another and preening (two videos) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpS3biI3IQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCYUr1jUgk
              > > >
              > > > and at the top of the hill (there were redstarts up there too)... a Spotted Towhee stopped in the campsite...got a quick vid as it came and went at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RropUhzIYBw
              > > >
              > > > a Red-eyed Vireo is singing, with a Veery calling in the background (Thanks Kim and Bob for helping me with ID's) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8Lt7lxJX8
              > > >
              > > > Finally, there's a bird calling that I don't recognize, a fast trill of a call with a Squeak at the end, at the 4-5, 11-12, 18 and 25 second marks.
              > > >
              > > > Goldfinches, chickadees (the young are sweet! salt and pepper chests instead of white!) magpies, chipping and vesper sparrows, a family of crows (there's a nature trail linking the Aspen to Valleyview campgrounds on the East side of the park at the top of the hill), flycatchers on the nature trail, pelicans (counted 19 on Pasqua Lake one morning), watching robins pulling at saskatoons was a delight as their weight had some ungracefully falling off the branches in their efforts. Ring-billed gulls on Echo Beach, sapsucker tree damage, Downy woodpeckers were there. Not a lot of mourning doves around.
              > > >
              > > > Fran K from Regina

            • bobluterbach
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2013
                Fran
                It does sound like a Spotted Towhee. There are subtle, and sometimes
                not so, differences with the regular songs and calls which
                differentiate between these and the Eastern Towhee. Check these out.

                Be aware that there are both Eastern and Spotted Towhees ( plus
                HYBRIDS) in the area as far west as Craven and Seven Bridges Road. The
                percentages of Eastern's apparently increases as one travels east from
                Fort Qu' Appelle in the Valley.

                My limited experience suggests that Spotted are also will occur more in
                drier habitat, for example, I have seen these on the north slopes or
                south facing ones along # 99 while I have seen a few Eastern's more
                within the more vegetated and sometimes spring fed north facing slopes
                or coulees along the South Valley Road.. There are also Spotted Towhees
                within these better wooded habitats as well at locations such as Catley.

                Take care
                Bob