water fowl and other song birds

  • babbles1968
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19 1:23 PM
      Hi, I am new to the group. It appears I have a lot of reading to do!
      I live in Weyburn. I was wondering if anyone else in this area and beyond has noticed the decline in water fowl? The mighty Souris usually hosts an abundant number of mallards, northern pintails, canvas backs...this year ZIP. I run through riverside park daily, and noticed no fowl, so I biked to the north end of town along the river...not one water fowl species! I did notice some ducks and geese flocking in June? I also wondered about that?
      Any information or comments would be appreciated.

      Secondly. This spring I noted 6-7 house finches dead around my yard at spring clean up. I asked my neighbors and friends ( who also have several feeders) and Ann had 12 dead birds (red polls and house finches) Ann asked her neighbor and he had a whopping 16!!!!! Among other birds I found one mourning dove, one robin.
      I did call the conservation office here, and he was helpful, but could not offer any answers. Has this been noted anywhere else?
      Thanks!
    • Alaina Armbruster
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19 1:36 PM
        Welcome!! There are a few Weyburn people in here.. I live in Manor, but do occasionally pop up to weyburn to bird..

        Now that you mention it.. I went for a nice couple hour long drive today, and all I spotted were Red Necked Grebes (no albino one though sadly), Canada geese, one Ruddy, and Coots!! (and a few Ring billed Gulls)...

        havent had any problems with dead birds, although im not sure I would have noticed as we have cats in the yard..

        Alaina in Manor

        To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 11:58 PM
            Hi Gordon, and thanx for the welcome. I thought about food contamination...was my first thought. We all get our food from various stores/brands etc. I asked everyone. It wouldn't explain the robin.. as it is not normally a feeder bird. I googled the eye disease, and this may be the culprit.
            I wash my feeders with a weak bleach solution a few times a year.
            The water birds? There were more birds here when we flooded? it just seems very very odd to me that there are no birds in the souris.
            Very few in the ditches. But I shall remain vigilant.LOL.
            I am going to enjoy this group, I can tell already.