Black-billed Cuckoo near Clavet

  • howardslate61
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
      This morning Lorriene and I found a black-billed cuckoo by a slough near Clavet. It was collecting fat, green caterpillars and taking them to the same location in a bluff at the edge of the slough, strongly suggesting nestlings were being fed. Approaching Clavet heading east from Saskatoon on Highway 16, turn south on Bentley Road (approximately 1 km before Clavet), crossing the railway tracks. Continue on Bentley Road until just past Prairie Steel Products (which is on the east side of the road) approximately 200 metres to a slough on the west side of the road. The bird was fairly active, so it should appear within a short time. I've submitted a photo, which I hope will encourage a real photographer to get some good pictures.

      Craig Salisbury
      Saskatoon
    • Randy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
        Hi everyone,

        I have been back in Saskatoon this week. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do much birding and I'm heading back today. I did attempt to find this black-billed cuckoo today from about 12:30-1:15 but was unsuccessful. Just to clarify with Craig, who posted the sighting initially, I have a map of the area in the following link. The letter "A" represents Prairie Steel Products. Was the cuckoo at the small slough immediately south of this or the larger slough slightly further south that straddles the road directly under the words "Bentley Rd"? I was at the small slough closer to Prairie Steel.

        http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/randy_a_walker/media/Capture.jpg.html?filters[user]=120860689&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

        This morning I went to Crocus Prairie north on Central Avenue to try to find Le Conte's sparrows, which would be a lifer for me. I was successful in hearing them, but they did not present themselves unfortunately despite what I thought was irresistible pishing! :) Also, I'm 95% sure I saw a Tennessee warbler. How unusual would this be for this time of year? I got a pretty good look at it but was unable to see the yellowish back from my view. Clearly warbler-sized, pale eye stripe, and greyish head. I suppose the only other thing it could have been would be warbling vireo, but I've seen these in BC and I don't believe this is what it was. Any thoughts?

        Here's my list from about 45 minutes at Crocus Prairie this morning:

        American White Pelican 1
        Red-tailed Hawk 1
        Franklin's Gull 3
        Ring-billed Gull 6
        Rock Pigeon 1
        Mourning Dove 1
        Northern Flicker 1
        Black-billed Magpie 1
        American Crow 2
        Black-capped Chickadee 3
        House Wren 1
        American Robin 2
        Cedar Waxwing 10
        Tennessee Warbler 1
        Yellow Warbler 3
        Clay-colored Sparrow 20
        Le Conte's Sparrow 2
        American Goldfinch 1

        I'm hoping to be back in October for a week. Hopefully this coincides with some good migrants!

        Randy Walker - Langley, BC (currently in Saskatoon)

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "howardslate61" <howardslate61@...> wrote:

        > This morning Lorriene and I found a black-billed cuckoo by a slough near Clavet. It was collecting fat, green caterpillars and taking them to the same location in a bluff at the edge of the slough, strongly suggesting nestlings were being fed. Approaching Clavet heading east from Saskatoon on Highway 16, turn south on Bentley Road (approximately 1 km before Clavet), crossing the railway tracks. Continue on Bentley Road until just past Prairie Steel Products (which is on the east side of the road) approximately 200 metres to a slough on the west side of the road. The bird was fairly active, so it should appear within a short time. I've submitted a photo, which I hope will encourage a real photographer to get some good pictures.
        >
        > Craig Salisbury
        > Saskatoon

      • howardslate61
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
          Prairie Steel is on the east side of Bentley Road (aka Prairie Steel Lane) while the slough where we have seen the cuckoo is on the west side of the road, just south of the end of the Prairie Steel property. From your description it sounds like you were in the right location but on the east side of the road. We stopped by there Friday evening at about 6:30 pm and the cuckoo appeared on the fence between the road and the slough within about 5 minutes and remained there for the 15 minutes we were there (occasionally dropping into the grass to catch insects).

          Craig Salisbury
          Saskatoon

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <ra.walker@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Randy Walker - Langley, BC (currently in Saskatoon)
          >

          > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "howardslate61" <howardslate61@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This morning Lorriene and I found a black-billed cuckoo by a slough near Clavet. It was collecting fat, green caterpillars and taking them to the same location in a bluff at the edge of the slough, strongly suggesting nestlings were being fed. Approaching Clavet heading east from Saskatoon on Highway 16, turn south on Bentley Road (approximately 1 km before Clavet), crossing the railway tracks. Continue on Bentley Road until just past Prairie Steel Products (which is on the east side of the road) approximately 200 metres to a slough on the west side of the road. The bird was fairly active, so it should appear within a short time. I've submitted a photo, which I hope will encourage a real photographer to get some good pictures.

        • Shadick, Stan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
            I should add that the Saskatoon Nature Society field trip on Saturday, July 20 did find the Black-billed Cuckoo at this location. The bird was feeding in the Canola field on the west side of the road from Prairie Steel and would often disappear from sight. We would see it fly several times. Eventually it sat on the fence wire.

            Stan Shadick

> [...]

            > Randy Walker - Langley, BC (currently in Saskatoon)
            >

            > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "howardslate61" <howardslate61@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This morning Lorriene and I found a black-billed cuckoo by a slough near Clavet. It was collecting fat, green caterpillars and taking them to the same location in a bluff at the edge of the slough, strongly suggesting nestlings were being fed. Approaching Clavet heading east from Saskatoon on Highway 16, turn south on Bentley Road (approximately 1 km before Clavet), crossing the railway tracks. Continue on Bentley Road until just past Prairie Steel Products (which is on the east side of the road) approximately 200 metres to a slough on the west side of the road. The bird was fairly active, so it should appear within a short time. I've submitted a photo, which I hope will encourage a real photographer to get some good pictures.

          • Randy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
              Thanks guys. I'm back in BC now so better luck next time! My twin brother will be in town next week from Victoria and I'll pass the info on to him.

              Randy