Re: [Saskbirds] Cattle Egrets and another Dickcissel

  • bobluterbach
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2013
      Great job Kathy, Don and others exploring and posting your sightings on
      Saskbirds. Great community of birders we have here.

      Take care

      On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Kathy Hedegard wrote:

        Hi Birders:

      My birding drive today took me out to Rafferty Dam, #18 to Torquay, up
      #606 to Mainprize Regional Park, on to #705 to check out the former
      heronry NE of Midale (nada) and over to Lampman (Roy's Lake).

      Highlights:
      - Sprague's Pipits and Chestnut-collared Longspurs near Rafferty Dam
      - a single Dickcissel south of Mainprize on #606
      - Baird's and Grasshopper Sparrows between Estevan and Mainprize Park.
      - Ferruginous Hawks, 4.  A local nest has at least two chicks, both
      parents were hunting nearby early this morning.

      - 7 Common Nighthawks, resting at community pasture corral near Mainprize.

      - many Wilson's Snipes perched on fence posts; ditto Upland Sandpipers
      - both Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs
      - American Avocets with chicks

      - 10-11 Least Sandpipers at Lampman - actually there were quite a few
      shorebirds along the washed out road across Roy's Lake, but the heat
      waves and glare made identification a trifle difficult, so I didn't try
      too hard.

      - 4 nests of Great Blue Herons at the Lampman heronry.  One nest had 3
      chicks, couldn't see the others well enough to determine number of
      young.

      - Cattle Egrets.  1 single not too far from a solo bird I saw a couple
      weeks ago.  At least 9 CAEGs are with a small herd of cattle along the
      paved road west of Lampman.  There is a roosting tree that some flew
      into as I was stopping.

      Here at home, a Red-breasted Nuthatch is pipping non-stop in a
      neighbour's tree.

      Kathy H in Estevan