Dickcissel near Avonlee

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2013
      Near noon, Al Smith and I saw a singing male Dickcissel along # 334 just east of Avonlee. It was on a fence line on the north side of the road where the highway climbs out of the Long Creek Valley ( Golf Course) west towards the Town.
      If you require more explicit directions txt or email me.

      Enjoy Birding

    • Kathy Hedegard
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
        Thanks, Bob (and Al).  It was my plan to go birding out around Gladmar today, to find some Lark Buntings, which I hadn't seen yet this year.  A jaunt up #34 & #334 to Avonlea was an easy trip add-on to try for the Dickcissel.

        Yes, I found both.

        I've been checking the hayfields around Estevan for Dickcissels regularly since the beginning of June.  None to be heard or seen, so I was pleased to hear about bird found yesterday.  I listened all along the route between Estevan and Avonlea and return.  No others heard, but it was pretty windy.

        Other highlights:

        Ferruginous Hawks, 2
        Bald Eagles, 3
        Chestnut-collared Longspurs, saw 1, heard several
        Horned Larks, many
        Sprague's Pipits, many places
        Grasshopper Sparrows, many places west of Lake Alma on
        Baird's Sparrows, quite a few locations south and east of the Big Muddy

        Kathy H in Estevan