Yellow Grass grid (the one many travelled last year)

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2013
      Doyle and I decided to head out of Weyburn on #13 highway and do the Yellow Grass grid road from the south end and head north to #39. I guessed perhaps we'd see 12 species, Doyle guessed 7. We thankfully were wrong. (Note - if you are planning on doing this road please note that about 8 kms at the south end is new grade and only one trail with very deep ruts since the heavy rain. A low car would drag. When a vehicle comes along someone has to pulloff onto a side road. About 2/3's of the road heading north is good though).

      What we saw in order as seen:

      Western Meadowlak
      Northern Shoveler
      Bobolinks (displaying while sitting on fence wire)
      Tree Swallows
      (the above was all around the area of the William's place. We had a good chat with Arnott along the road)
      Lark Sparrow
      American Wigeon
      Northern Pintail
      Mallard
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Common Grackle
      Cowbird
      Eastern Kingbird
      Swainson's Hawks (2 soaring)
      Blue-winged Teal
      Mourning Dove
      Killdeer
      Savannah Sparrw
      Canvasback
      American Bittern (in dugout on east side more towards the south end - it was there last week as well)
      Wilson's Phalaropes
      Marbled Godwit (dugout further north on east side)
      Yellow-headed Blackbird
      (here we visited with Mr. Murray. He hadn't seen any ibis yet nor had we on previous trips)
      Red-necked Grebe (dugout on west side closer to farm where owls were)
      Ruddy Ducks (lots of them around the bridge)
      Lesser Scaup
      Black Tern
      Sora (we saw one and heard lots along the drive)
      Common Tern
      American Coot
      Gadwall

      and the icing:

      2 White-faced Ibis (they were along the dugout just north of the red barn on the east side of the road. They flew across to the grassed area to forage and we had a great close view). They always remind me of flying scissors.

      Glad Doyle and I were wrong on our estimates. See you had the ibis also Kim. Way to go!

      Val and Doyle - McTaggart