The Ibis is back!! Francis Lake

  • K M
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2013
      Hi everyone,
       My sister and I decided to try our chances with all the rain and try one of the Chaplin Nature Centre's tours. It was touch and go, totally dependent on how the roads were and whether our guide felt we could travel the roads. Although we couldn't go the entire distance, the part we saw was excellent. We had never been on this tour and plan to go again in July when the weather, hopefully, is better. The highlight was the two Piping Plovers feeding along the saline shore.
       After the tour, we continued onto Francis Lake in search of the Cinnamon Teal. Earlier this month, we had seen a pair and we were hoping they were still there. What we saw was very interesting- the Cinnamon drake was hanging with some Blue-winged Teal drakes. No sign of the females. Could this mean the Cinnamons have nested here this year?
       As we were leaving an Ibis flew over the car.
       We checked Reed Lake on the way home- no sign of the Red Knots or Black-bellied Plovers there. Kim in Regina