To Moose Jaw and back

  • M A
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 9:24 PM
      The morning of May 1, I headed to Moose Jaw for a work-related
      meeting.... So nice to see sunshine. I was surprised to be told, when
      I was checking into the hotel, that I could not have an early check-in
      because of the hotel had been filled to capacity the night before -- due
      to the snow storm. I knew Regina had been hit quite hard by the last
      snow of April, but did not know Moose Jaw had been as well.

      En route from Swift Current to Moose Jaw, I saw:

      Canada Geese
      Ducks (including Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails)
      1 Northern Harrier (east of Caronport), 1 Red-tailed Hawk (east of
      Ernfold), 2 Merlins (within 2 km west of Caronport)
      American Coots
      Gulls (including Franklin's and Ring-billed)
      Rock Pigeons
      12 American Crows
      a few Western Meadowlarks, a few small flocks of 10-20 Blackbirds

      1 Muskrat (on Reed Lake - bordering Hwy #1)
      one small herd of 6 White-tailed Deer

      While in Moose Jaw I saw the usual Rock Pigeons, American Crows, and
      House Sparrows. May 2, as I was filling up with gas at the Co-op on
      the east end of Moose Jaw, I was treated to the bonus of the day --- 2
      Turkey Vultures and a Red-tailed Hawk soaring above the gas station
      area. Nice, very nice!

      May 2, I left Moose Jaw just after 1:00PM and headed for home...

      From Moose Jaw to Swift Current I saw:

      Canada Geese
      Ducks (including Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails)
      3 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Ferruginous Hawk (near the Mortlach intersection),
      2 Prairie Falcons (flying in the same vicinity, near and over the
      highway --- just east of Ernfold)
      1 American Avocet (in a ditch between Morse and Herbert)
      Gulls (including Franklin's Gulls)
      American Coots
      Rock Pigeons
      1 Black-billed Magpie, 15 American Crows
      a few Western Meadowlarks, one flock of 20-25 Blackbirds

      I pulled off at Reed Lake (at Morse). The ice is starting to recede on
      Reed Lake so there is open water now available for the birds. In and
      near the water along the Lake Road I saw:

      a few Snow Geese, Canada Geese
      8 American White Pelicans
      Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, a few Lesser Scaup, 1
      Western Grebe
      1 Northern Harrier
      6 Killdeer
      9 American Avocets, 2 Willets, 10 Marbled Godwits, at least 20 Sanderlings
      Franklin's Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls, California Gulls
      8 American Crows

      3 Muskrats

      I drove into Morse and went along the road leading west out of town and saw:

      a few Canada Geese
      Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Canvasbacks, several Eared Grebes
      several American Coots
      Franklin's Gulls
      1 American Crow
      1 Western Meadowlark (and heard more)

      I also stopped briefly along the grid road immediately south of Herbert
      -and saw:

      Canada Geese,Mallards, Northern Shovelers, 2 Eared Grebes
      several American Coots
      2 Killdeer
      6 American Avocets, 3 Marbled Godwits
      Franklin's Gulls
      1 American Crow

      As I drove along the Highway #4 Bypass (just north and west of the Swift
      Current Mall), 2 Mourning Doves were sitting on the power line. So nice
      to see!

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W