Broadview Birds

  • donaldweidl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      Hi folks, the snow has stopped and we have at least 25 cm left on the ground. Keeping the snow clear beneath the feeders yesterday was a job, but worth while. Besides 50 or more Dark-eyed Juncos and House Sparrows, 2 Fox Sparrows, 1 Chipping Sparrow, 4 American Tree Sparrows, 1 White-crowned Sparrow,2 Mourning Doves, and 1 Vesper Sparrow showed up.

      Take Care. Don
    • donaldweidl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2016

        Hi folks, I hope everyone is enjoying the mild winter.  The feeders at my place have been busy with a variety of birds and a number of good birds around town.  The following birds were seen at my feeders or in the neighbourhood yesterday, Feb. 9:

        Mourning Dove 2 continuing at feeders

        Eurasian Collared-Dove 2 in neighbourhood

        Rock Pigeon 40 at edge of town

        American Robin 1 continuing in neighbourhood

        Black-capped Chickadee 3

        Hairy Woodpecker 2

        Downy Woodpecker 2

        Black-billed Magpie 3 in neighbourhood

        Common Raven 4

        White-breasted Nuthatch 1

        Red Crossbill 2 heard overhead

        Pine Grosbeak 5 in neighbourhood

        Bohemian Waxwing 7 in neighbourhood, up to 120 seen last week

        Dark-eyed Junco 7 at feeders

        Common Redpoll 40

        House Sparrow 30

        In the last few weeks Horned Lark, Snow Bunting and Sharp-tailed Grouse have been seen south of Broadview.  American Goldfinch, Pine Siskin and House Finch are regularly seen at a neighbours feeder, but rarely at mine.  Missing this winter are Great Horned Owl, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Gray Partridge.

        Good birding and good luck if you are participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend.

        Don in Broadview.

      • donaldweidl
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2016

          Hi folks, looks like some good birds all over the province today.  Some First of year (FOY) birds in the Broadview area today included.

          Ross's Goose 2, south of Broadview.

          Virginia Rail 1 heard and seen south of Broadview

          Least Flycatcher 2 heard west of Broadview

          Spotted Sandpiper 3 Ekapo Lake, south of Broadview.

          Barn Swallow 2 Ekapo Lake, south of Broadview

          Yellow Warbler 1 south of Broadview

          Baltimore Oriole 1 heard and seen in Broadview

          Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 male seen in Broadview.

          Good birding
          Don in Broadview.