Recent spam posts - a message from the moderator

  • robert.johanson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      To all:

      Recently there have been five "spam" messages posted to the group. These messages contain a random http link and appear to come from legitimate members.

      These messages bear all the hallmarks of an email worm. Some member's computer has acquired one of the hundreds of email worms that afflict mainly the Microsoft Outlook email client. The worm is now sending out emails trying to infect other computers; some of these are being sent to Saskbirds. It is not possible for me to determine who has the malware since the "from" address is spoofed and only Yahoo! has access to the incoming post.

      The worm messages that come through Saskbirds are harmless since the infecting part is in the attachment which is stripped before propagating to the group. (For members who wonder why attachments such as pictures are not allowed on posts to the group, THIS is why.) However, I note that these messages are also being sent directly to some group members. If you receive what appears to be a Saskbirds email that contains an attachment, do not open the attachment. Delete the email. Or better, first forward the email to me, including all the headers, and maybe I can figure out where these are coming from.

      I would appreciate if members use a reliable and up-to-date anti-virus application to scan their computers for malware. The frequency of these messages is low, but that could change. I do not want to have to start moderating each post.

      Robert Johanson
      moderator, Saskbirds