Gull Roost on Wascana Lake on Saturday

  • bobluterbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2013
      I estimated 1,500+- mostly California Gulls with now slowly increasing numbers of Ring-billed Gulls and 8 Franklin's Gulls. There were also at least 5 Herring Gulls in the group..

      To pass the time during my vigil, I asked several inquisitive individuals to estimate the flock size.( I had already completed my estimate by averaging the width of the long column and then counting individuals along the near edge.) Their speculation ranged from 200 to 700 birds. I think this is consistent with findings that less experienced observers tend to greatly underestimate flock numbers.

      Also present at the aeration openings were both a male Common Merganser and drake Northern Pintail. Other dabblers present included 13 Northern Shovelers and four Mallards.

      During the afternoon, I saw and heard a Townsend's Solitaire in the cedar/juniper/pine/russsian olive grove. Also present at this location was a small group of 6 Black-capped Chickadees and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

      For the second consecutive evening a vocal Raven was at the Legislature. I must check the building for nesting !

      Quinn Drive Area:

      There are still 6 Red Crossbills at or near my feeder plus a female White-winged Crossbill. At least 20 Common Redpolls are swarming the area plus the typical wintering species including a couple of Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, House Finches and House Sparrows.

      New for today included a singing female plumaged Purple Finch and a single Dark-eyed Junco. (The wintering White-throated Sparrow and the three Dark-eyed Juncos have not been seen at the feeder or nearby for more than a month.)

      There are now several Crows now in the area.

      Enjoy your birding
    • plantman108
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2013
        The raven has been there for most of the winter. It may disappear for a day or two and then show up again. I noticed it through Nov. and then off and on since mid Jan.

        Steven Weir
        Regina, SK

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
          Steven
          The Raven was there this evening again. It was sitting of the end of
          the east wing.

          Enjoy your birding