Cabin Fever

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013
      Great stories by all. Thanks. Three or four things eventually led to us permanently watching birds. I was an only child growing up in Weyburn with wonderful parents that owned a small grocery store. They were the most loving and encouraging parents. (My mom just celebrated her 99th birthday last week and she phones us every day). We were all soft-hearted about all animals (except snakes). We would take lots of country drives and although no one knew much about birds they always stopped so we could watch bird activites. We purchased a budgie bird "Bobby" and had him for seven years. He was so tame I could take him outside on my finger or shoulder. Several wounded birds and other needy animals ended up in a home-made coop in our back yard and we had many success stories of release. One day I had a wounded gull in this setup and Miss Johnson came along and said "What a wonderful looking Franklin's Gull". You know, I never even thought there would be different names for gulls. She stopped by quite often after that with bird stories and waa so encouraging. My husband tamed an American Crow, a Short-eared Owl and Red Fox amongst other things over the years as he grew up on the farm. We live in the same old house now. Doyle has always loved animals. In the year 1980 a Red-headed Woodpecker appeared on our back maple tree which caused scrambling to our primitive Peterson A Field Guild to the Birds. Then one spring morning we looked out to a small pasture southeast of the house and saw quite the phenonemum. A huge area in the centre was a solid blue colouring, like a pond of water. It wasn't there the day before. We went outside and the 'pond' lifted into the air. Hundreds of Mountain Bluebirds!! We were so taken back and from then on started looking for all kinds of birding activities. Our first Saskbirds contact was Bob who helped us identify a Northern Mockingbird on our front lawn and he was so encouraging through postings and meeting up with us for outings. Now the whole group is such fun. Kathy and I have become good friends and enjoyed good times thanks to birding!!

      Snow is fine when you're in looking out!! :-)

      Val