RE: [Saskbirds] Moose Mountain CBC

  • Alaina Armbruster
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
      Man, Wish i had known that there was going to be a bird count that close to me!!
      Maybe next year I will be able to make it!

      ALaina in Manor
      To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
      From: val_doyle_thomas@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 20:58:25 +0000
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Moose Mountain CBC

      We did the annual Moose Mountain CBC yesterday. Kathy, Bob, John, Doyle and I spent eight vehicle hours counting White Bear Lake and Kenosee plus the countryside areas. It was absolutely perfect weather and we always look forward to the count.

      We spotted 15 species all told. They are as follows in order as spotted:

      Common Raven 28

      Black-billed Magpie 30

      Common Redpoll 70

      Sharp-tailed Grouse 20

      House Sparrow 51

      Black-capped Chickadeee 27

      Downy Woodpecker 1

      Blue Jay 5

      Pine Grosbeak 18

      Hairy Woodpecker 1

      Snow Bunting 3

      Rock Pigeon 6

      American Crow 2

      Bohemian Waxwing 3

      White-winged Crossbill 6

      Fox Squirrel 1

      Vole 1

      We missed seeing a few sightings we were hoping to get on the count. As you can see, the mammal sightings were very low. This is likely the first year in the last 10 years we didn't see White-tailed Deer.

      The White-winged Crossbills let their presence be known by dropping cones in a flurry onto the road right in front of our vehicle along a residential street at Kenosee.

      Val T - MM Count Coordinator

      McTaggart