Why was I surprised? RUBL fishing

  • K M
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hi everyone.
       Thanks to Bradley and Laurie for the posts re: the Rusty Blackbird at the NW corner of AE Wilson Pk.
       I went there this morning (man, my fingers absolutely froze!!!) to see if I could find it. There was a female Mallard feeding in the open water and just when I was going to leave, I spotted the RUBL crouched over a small hole at the bottom of the rocks where there was open water. I'm not sure but I think the bird was keeping warm by standing in the vapor rising up from the hole.
       I took some quick pics and then the bird started coming towards me. When he/she reached a more open, water running spot with ice covered rocks on both sides, it reached into the water and flipped a small minnow out! I have to admit, it took me by surprise! Then I thought (wrongly : )  that of course, they are members of the Corvid family and are very adaptable.
       They are actually members of the Icteridae but are still very adaptable, especially when it comes to food gathering. In Sibley's Guide to Bird Life & Behavior, he mentions that Grackles have been seen fishing. He also mentions that Rusty Blackbirds feed mostly on aquatic invertebrates. So I shouldn't have been surprised that RUBL would fish as well! Kim in Regina

    • nikovich71
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
        That's very interesting! When needs must I guess! I got a sequence of photos of an American Dipper fishing for small trout fingerlings in a creek at Banff, Alberta last month. The dipper was successful and managed to catch and eat a whole fish.

        Cheers,

        Nick

        Saskatoon

        www.saskbirder.com