Icy Start to Winter Listing

  • Kathy H
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hello Birders:

      As Guy reminded us, today is the start of Winter Birding. First birds on my list, as the freezing fog lifts a bit this morning:

      Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2
      Eurasian Collared Doves, ~35
      House Sparrows, 100+
      Common Redpolls, 5-6
      House Finch, 1

      I think I’ll see if I can get down to the warm water channels at Boundary

      Take care on the roads, friends.

      Kathy Hedegard
      Estevan, SK

    • jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi All
        So far this morning I had about 20 house sparrows at the feeder and that's about it. I read all the posts about all the different birds everyone gets at their feeders and I am jealous. Perhaps it's my location but I seem to be restricted to sparrows, chickadees and the occasional rb nuthatch. I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and I have a very small deck so the feeders are about 5 ft from my perch on the couch. I have 2 feeders in a very small space, 1 is a regular feeder for the sparrows and the second is a coffee can with half the lid cut out laying on its side with sunflower seeds and regular bird seeds for the chickadees and nuthatches. The sparrows seem to be afraid to enter the opening of the coffee can but the chickadees and nuthatches have no problem flying past the sparrows and into the coffee can to feed. I tried suet blocks to attract other species but the ravens make short work of the suet blocks so I gave up on that. Any suggestions on other food types I could try to attract other birds in my restricted space?

        Jim in NB

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy H" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

        > Hello Birders:
        >
        > As Guy reminded us, today is the start of Winter Birding. First birds on my list, as the freezing fog lifts a bit this morning:
        >
        > Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2
        > Eurasian Collared Doves, ~35
        > House Sparrows, 100+
        > Common Redpolls, 5-6
        > House Finch, 1
        >
        > I think I’ll see if I can get down to the warm water channels at Boundary
        >
        > Take care on the roads, friends.
        >
        > Kathy Hedegard
        > Estevan, SK

      • Alaina Armbruster
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
          I started out with common redpolls, house sparrows, a male And female ring necked pheasant ( they seem to be sticking around!!) and 2 magpies...
          Hope you find some good ones Kathy! If anything looks good, I might have to head out estevan way!!

          Alaina in manor

          Sent from my iPhone