Loss of LeConte's Sparrow habitat in Regina

  • Sandy Ayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      At a recent meeting of the City of Regina's committee for the
      implementation of the master plan for the development of A. E. Wilson
      Park it was mentioned in passing that an extension of Courtenay Ave. is
      planned. I should quickly point out that although the extension would
      pass within a few hundred meters of the park the extension has nothing
      to do with the master plan. In any event, the marsh and grassland
      adjacent to the land that would be used for the extension constitute one
      of the few places left in the city where one can see LeConte's Sparrows
      and Marsh Wrens with any regularity (both are likely breeders). Raptors,
      including Short-Eared Owls can also be found here, and Bobolinks
      sometimes show up during migration and hang around for a while.

      I wonder whether any kind of environmental impact study has gone into
      the planning for the extension. Does anybody know any further details
      about the extension?

      Sandy Ayer

      H.D. Sandy Ayer (Mr.)
      Director of Library Services
      Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
      4400 4th Ave.
      Regina, Sask., Canada

      S4T 0H8

      306-545-1515