Burrowing Owl

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2012
      We took a quick drive along the Yellow Grass N/S grid yesterday. We saw one Burrowing Owl still sticking around, about four Great-blue Herons on our way over there, several Red-tailed Hawks and small flocks of Lapland Longspurs. Noticed about 30 Western Meadowlarks along a road by Trossachs. Surprised at the number of Horned Larks north on our road where it is just a trail. Also along our road there are still quite a few Killdeer and about three Western Meadowlarks plus a Great-blue Heron at the bridge north of us. We have scads of Harris's Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos right now with the odd other kinds of sparrows tossed in the mixture. A Sharp-shinned Hawk enjoys viewing the pickings most days. Also enjoying a Red-breasted Nuthatch which isn't common at our place. A Yellow-shafted Flicker hit the window and remained shocked for a while but did a great recovery.

      Val T - McTaggart