Red Crossbills in West Regina

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2012
      Early this afternoon, a swirling vocal flock of 16+ Red Crossbills briefly visited Wayne Smith's Regina back yard and area. We saw at least one red male in the group. This flock split into several splinter groups with several apparently checking a couple hybrid popular trees in Wayne's backyard and along the lane. Then they were gone flying south to another area of the City.

      Red Crossbills often forage searching for large leaf galls which occur on aspen or cottonwood trees. They excise these galls extracting small white larvae.

      This species is also in found in association with pine forests, plantations and spruce trees.

      Enjoy your birding