Saskatoon Nature Society Hike over Maymont Nature Conservancy Property

  • Shadick, Stan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2012
      Many thanks to Renny Grilz for leading the Saskatoon Nature Society on a hike over the vast expanse of native prairie on the Maymont Nature Conservancy property today. The most impressive area that we visited was a large tract of prairie north of Spinney Hill and stretching for miles to the edge of the North Saskatchewan River valley. It was full of native prairie and many species of native wildflowers in bloom that some of our botany enthusiasts had not seen for years. Thanks also to Lorne Duczek who showed us a good variety of dragonflies and butterflies. It was a splendid day for a good hike.

      We are lucky to have organizations like Nature Conservancy who have used volunteer donations so effectively to purchase and preserve this property.

      A few of the bird highlights included Goshawk, Bald Eagle, Veery and Turkey Vultures.

      Hopefully, we can plan another outing for next year.

      Stan Shadick
      Saskatoon Nature Society
      www.saskatoonnaturesociety.sk.ca