Re: [Saskbirds] Snowy Owl

  • Kathy H
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 10, 2012
      Hey Alaina, email me privately at the address below about where you are
      located. Maybe I can put you onto some good birdy roads to take.

      Kathy in Estevan
      hedegardk@...

      From: hedegardk@...
      Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:51:03 -0600
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Snowy Owl

      Hi Birders:

      I had a fantastic mid-morning to noon birding trip around my area here at
      Estevan. It all started out with having 4 young Sharp-tailed Grouse run
      across a road, next was an Upland Sandpiper adult that didn’t want to move
      off the road. So I stopped and watched. Shortly a very young,
      wobbly-on-its-feet chick popped out from the grass and ran along, not quite
      knowing what to do or where to go. It finally reached the other side of the
      road and went into the grass. I moved past and watched in the rear view
      mirror as the adult went to find its chick. First time I’ve seen an Upland
      Sandpiper chick, I believe.

      There are a lot of shorebirds around:

      Stilt Sandpipers (~15-20 birds)

      Am. Avocets (100s, including various sizes of young)

      Willets (with young)

      Marbled Godwits (with young)

      Killdeer (with young, defending territory and also gathering in big flocks)

      Least Sandpipers

      Solitary Sandpiper (1)

      Spotted Sandpiper (2)

      Greater Yellowlegs (many)

      Lesser Yellowlegs (100s)

      Plus dowitchers sp.

      Other bits of interest:

      - a perched Swainson’s Hawk was being heckled by a pair of Orchard Orioles,
      so expect the orioles have a nest in that grove.

      - several Red-tailed Hawks soaring; one young RTHW was sitting on the ground
      at the edge of a slough

      - another Swainson’s Hawk actually flew at my vehicle when I stopped to
      check out it and what turned out to be a young SWHA. The young one was 4
      power poles away. A very protective parent.

      - a raft of male Ruddy Ducks (~20 birds)

      It was a 60+ species day....with the best find possibly being the Snowy Owl
      south of Torquay. It was sitting atop an old windmill in the hot sun. It
      was panting.

      Kathy in Estevan.

    • valndoyle
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 31
        Yesterday we spotted three Snowy Owls during the day and then were surprised with a nice nighttime ending. Around 10:30 pm at the #6 & #39 corner curve by Corrine a Snowy Owl was on the highway shoulder and flew up as we passed by.

        Val T - McTaggart