RE: [Saskbirds] Snowy Owl

  • Alaina Armbruster
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 10, 2012
      holy! half of those i havent seen yet around here.. i never see them when i go to estevan! any specific path or roads you take??

      To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
      From: hedegardk@...
      Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:51:03 -0600
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Snowy Owl

      Hi Birders:

      I had a fantastic mid-morning to noon birding trip around my area here at Estevan. It all started out with having 4 young Sharp-tailed Grouse run across a road, next was an Upland Sandpiper adult that didn�t want to move off the road. So I stopped and watched. Shortly a very young, wobbly-on-its-feet chick popped out from the grass and ran along, not quite knowing what to do or where to go. It finally reached the other side of the road and went into the grass. I moved past and watched in the rear view mirror as the adult went to find its chick. First time I�ve seen an Upland Sandpiper chick, I believe.

      There are a lot of shorebirds around:

      Stilt Sandpipers (~15-20 birds)

      Am. Avocets (100s, including various sizes of young)

      Willets (with young)

      Marbled Godwits (with young)

      Killdeer (with young, defending territory and also gathering in big flocks)

      Least Sandpipers

      Solitary Sandpiper (1)

      Spotted Sandpiper (2)

      Greater Yellowlegs (many)

      Lesser Yellowlegs (100s)

      Plus dowitchers sp.

      Other bits of interest:

      - a perched Swainson�s Hawk was being heckled by a pair of Orchard Orioles, so expect the orioles have a nest in that grove.

      - several Red-tailed Hawks soaring; one young RTHW was sitting on the ground at the edge of a slough

      - another Swainson�s Hawk actually flew at my vehicle when I stopped to check out it and what turned out to be a young SWHA. The young one was 4 power poles away. A very protective parent.

      - a raft of male Ruddy Ducks (~20 birds)

      It was a 60+ species day....with the best find possibly being the Snowy Owl south of Torquay. It was sitting atop an old windmill in the hot sun. It was panting.

      Kathy in Estevan.

    • valndoyle
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 8
        Last week we took a drive along the 641 Yellow Grass grid and a Snowy Owl was there seen (west side) midway along the road by a pile of wood, perched on top of a bale of rolled-up barbed wire. A few hours ago we took the same trip and it's still there, this time perched atop a post by the barbed wire. Lots of waterfowl and Red-winged Blackbirds were along the drive, one Bald Eagle and 33 Western Meadowlarks. Also saw a Red Fox and a still-white Jack Rabbit.

        Val and Doyle Thomas - McTaggart.