American Black Duck at Francis Lake

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2012
      This afternoon, Ryan Dudragne reports observing a Black Duck with other dabblers along the east side of the road at Francis Lake.

      Ryan also reports seeing a Clark's Grebe at Reed Lake.

      Enjoy your birding

    • pl8guy@sasktel.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
         Good Afternoon All,

        Thanks to Bob for reporting this bird yesterday (Jun 30). The duck was among one of the large moulting groups of Mallard and Northern Shovelor that flush from the road bank as one drives slowly along. THis particular group was roughly at the lake's midpoint, just south of the east-west channel through the bulrushes and where the vegetation becomes more yellow. The very dark cocoa brown colouration as well as the deep purple speculum (wing patch) lacking white edges stand out on this bird.

        Also present at Francis Lake were good numbers of most dabblers, including two Cinnamon Teal -- the first was near the black duck location and appeared to be already in non-breeding plumage. The second was still in breeding colours at the north end of the lake. No luck with the ibis. I scoured the area in late afternoon, from approximately 1420-1715. No luck with the previously reported stilts, either.

        Earlier yesterday afternoon (still Jun 30), I had great scope views of a single Clark's Grebe among several Westerns at Reed Lake. Location was roughly 200 m douth of the TransCanada on the grid south of Morse, and the bird was within 200m from shore west of the road. The Caspian Tern previously reported was still patrolling the waters along the road as were a couple of Forster's Terns. At least 25 Common and Forster's Terns were foraging at the south end of the lake. Good numbers of Eared and Western Grebes with young, and several Horned Grebes also.

        On Jun 29th, I checked out the Seven Bridges Road on the way to Regina in late afternoon, starting from the north end SW of Lumsden. At least one male Lazuli Bunting was singing from a bare branch along the west side of the road and gave me great views as it flew across to the east side. This was north of the petting farm before the first bridge. There may have been another calling futher down the road, but I could not confirm, nor could I confirm a distant song that sounded possibly like an Indigo.  At least two Spotted Towhees were calling along the road, and I also obserevd a couple of Northern Rough-winged Swallows.

        Best of Birding,

        Ryan Dudragne
        Everywhere, SK
      • Alaina Armbruster
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          stupid question.. where is francis lake?

          To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
          CC: pl8guy@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
            Alaina,

            Francis Lake is located approximately 4 miles north of Herbert, which is east of Swift Current, SK. This location has been referred to several times in the last few weeks with regard to sightings of White-faced Ibis and Cinnamon Teal.

            Best of Birding,
            Ryan Dudragne

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Alaina Armbruster <alainala@...> wrote:

            > stupid question.. where is francis lake?
            >
            > To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
            > CC: pl8guy@...
            > From: pl8guy@...
            > Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:57:59 -0600
            > Subject: [Saskbirds] Re: American Black Duck at Francis Lake

            > Good Afternoon All,
            >

            > Thanks to Bob for reporting this bird yesterday (Jun 30). The duck was among one of the large moulting groups of Mallard and Northern Shovelor that flush from the road bank as one drives slowly along. THis particular group was roughly at the lake's midpoint, just south of the east-west channel through the bulrushes and where the vegetation becomes more yellow. The very dark cocoa brown colouration as well as the deep purple speculum (wing patch) lacking white edges stand out on this bird.
            >

            > Also present at Francis Lake were good numbers of most dabblers, including two Cinnamon Teal -- the first was near the black duck location and appeared to be already in non-breeding plumage. The second was still in breeding colours at the north end of the lake. No luck with the ibis. I scoured the area in late afternoon, from approximately 1420-1715. No luck with the previously reported stilts, either.
            >

            > Earlier yesterday afternoon (still Jun 30), I had great scope views of a single Clark's Grebe among several Westerns at Reed Lake. Location was roughly 200 m douth of the TransCanada on the grid south of Morse, and the bird was within 200m from shore west of the road. The Caspian Tern previously reported was still patrolling the waters along the road as were a couple of Forster's Terns. At least 25 Common and Forster's Terns were foraging at the south end of the lake. Good numbers of Eared and Western Grebes with young, and several Horned Grebes also.
            >

            > On Jun 29th, I checked out the Seven Bridges Road on the way to Regina in late afternoon, starting from the north end SW of Lumsden. At least one male Lazuli Bunting was singing from a bare branch along the west side of the road and gave me great views as it flew across to the east side. This was north of the petting farm before the first bridge. There may have been another calling futher down the road, but I could not confirm, nor could I confirm a distant song that sounded possibly like an Indigo. At least two Spotted Towhees were calling along the road, and I also obserevd a couple of Northern Rough-winged Swallows.
            >

            > Best of Birding,
            >

            > Ryan Dudragne
            >
            > Everywhere, SK

          • Alaina Armbruster