Lazuli Bunting on Seven Bridges Road and Confirmed Purple Finch Breeding at Lumsden

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2012
      All
      This morning, I saw a vocal male Lazuli Bunting singing along the above road near the most southerly Bridge. Previously, during a couple of visits, I heard a partial song which sounded more like an Indigo. Stunning bird !

      Recently, during visits to various areas of the Qu'Appelle Watershed ,I am hearing Black-billed Cuckoos during many regular stops. I have heard and seen up to maximum of 6 birds per day. Today, though, only one was heard during a limited exploration.

      Also, along the same route as the Bunting (Seven Bridges Road) are scattered pairs of Northern Rough-winged along with Tree, Bank and Barn Swallows. Lark Sparrows are also regular along this road. During my last visit, I saw an adult male Eastern Bluebird here;however, none was seen or heard, today. No grosbeak species or Northern Waterthrushes singing here today.

      Curtis Pollack, Lumsden, reports that Purple Finches have been present for the last two years near his home. I also heard them at this location last year. This year, I saw birds at his feeder during later May. Last week, Curtis observed a begging fledgling being fed by an adult bird for his first confirmed breeding record at his location.

      During a brief visit to his yard, I also saw an adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched prominently on a dead top of a tree near his garage. Other species noted during today's brief yard visit include: Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Robin, and a Blue Jay. Purple Martins foraged and called high overhead.

      I counted 68 Western Grebe nests in the now very shallow waters of nesting colony at Valeport Marsh. Perhaps, 15 pairs already have family groups of various sizes floating in the shallows of the nearby Lake. It is doubtful that some of these birds will be able escape from the shallow waters unless they hatch within days.

      Enjoy your birding