Sedge Wren

  • Nick Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2012
      Greetings all,

      I just got back from a little excursion with my good friend Shelly Fisher. We checked out the Quill Lakes area. Not far from Wadena, we came across a small marshy wetland where I heard the 'sewing-machine-like' call of a Sedge Wren. We soon located it, and I was able to obtain some photos for my files.

      At Big Quill Lake we had Black-crowned Night Heron, Great Blue Heron, over 200 American Pelicans , and 3 roosting Turkey Vultures.

      On the way home we both picked up a lifer, as we noticed a 'finger of doom' pointing down at the ground. Not far from Asquith, a Tornado had touched down! We hurriedly took a few snaps and booked it out of there pronto!

      Getting home, my poor wife had the lovely task of removing a tick embedded in my back. What a charming way to end a nice day of birding.

      Cheers,

      Nick

      S'toon

    • lilliankaye@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2013
        What goes around comes around? On June 23rd, I had posted a list of birds I'd seen in the Last Mountain Lake / Rowan's Ravine /Strasbourg area.

        One photo/video I had was for a bird I wasn't sure I'd heard before, so I'd listed it as: "poss Marsh Wren checking it out"

        So now, as I'm heading out birding, I checked out the sounds for the birds I'm hoping to see tomorrow, and I'd been advised by Kim: "make sure you check out the call for the Sedge Wren too".

        Well - ch'ching! As soon as I heard that call: THAT's what that bird was May 30th W of Strasbourg at the marsh by the Lake: a Sedge Wren - and a lifer for me!

        So I've posted that video too - my poor camera had fun that windy day trying to focus on this little wren just a singin' away!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaJKv92F64

        Fran K from Regina.