Yellow Grass

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
      We did the Yellow Grass drive just west of the town again today and saw seven Bobolinks, three American Bittern, two Marbled Godwits and one Wilson's Snipe at good views. Many other birds also were there. A slow drive with lots of nice sounds. Sora's call often. There are many Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Red-winged Blackbirds and Black Terns along here as well as a few Common Terns. I did catch a glimpse of a Green-winged Teal before it swam behind some grass. Also cute were a pair of very young American Coots with their red heads swimming along with and watching a parent. There are quite a few muskrat houses along the marshy drive and we've seen different things sitting on top of them like a Wilson's Snipe, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal or blackbird of some sort. One pond has two pair of Ruddy Ducks that swim together a lot. The blue-bill certainly vibrates during the chatter call. A lone Redhead is in this same pond swimming with them each time we go. Perhaps the female is nesting.

      Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
    • Val T
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        We went for a drive around the Yellow Grass area yesterday afternoon...we have a square block drive we like to do when time permits. We saw 38 species of birds. The White-faced Ibis are really showing up and most birders that go along the one road see several of them. Some have counted up to 10. Our new year-birds to add from yesterday from along this drive are Lark Bunting and Cinnamon Teal. We have seen more Wilson's Snipes than ever in one year along here as well. Soras can be heard quite often but not seen that easily. It's not often we get such a neat birding area within 18 kms from our place...usually just too dry to keep marshes. We thankfully have lots of marshy areas to explore this year. Mind you right at our farm it is totally flat and all cropland.

        Val T - McTaggart
      • Val T
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2012
          On Sunday evening three of us sat in the vehicle parked on the bridge on Bannerman Road. Lots of warblers are migrating through. We had great views of four White-Breasted Nuthatches travelling along the dead tree on the northeast side of the bridge plus a Yellow Warbler sat on the bridge rail. A Catbird was flying about and landed on the road in front of the vehicle. Many other species were present.

          On the way home we drove down a side road heading east and saw a small slough area with about 10 Hudsonian Godwits. That our first sighting of them this year.

          Val T - McTaggart
        • valndoyle
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2014
            We drove down the grid west of Yellow Grass. We saw only 18 species but the first two were a Say's Phoebe at the south end of the road followed shortly be a Merlin. The other species were what we more or less expected to see. We had 14 families of Purple Martins this year and a few were still perching on our old tv antennae as of yesterday. Didn't see any this morning. Happy the House Wren found a mate and is still around. Barn Swallows are also numerous and taking advantage of the air filled with dragon flies. Lots of birds still around to enjoy in the yard. We didn't get the rains at our place so no muddy roads! Val T