Goose Lake Birding

  • Gordon Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2012
      After a morning and half of the afternoon of gardening our bodies told us to relax! We thought for several milliseconds and decided to head out to Goose Lake for some birding. It was a great decision! Reta packed a bag of snack food and away we went.

      The birds must have known that we were coming and they put on quite a parade! In all we saw 69 different species. We saw all of the breeding ducks out there. Buffleheads were absent. The highlights were the waders! we found Lesser Yellowlegs,American Avocets,Short-billed Dowitchers, Sora Rails(8) Virginia Rails(1), Western Sandpipers, Semi-palmatedSandpipers, White-rumped Sandpipers, Marbled Godwit,Black-bellied Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones, Willets.

      The big highlite was one pair of Snowy Plovers!! We found them once on the shores of Chaplin Lake three years ago. Then we couldn't beleive our eyes.This time was just as exciting!

      This drive has always given us unique supprises!We hope you enjoy it too. Gordon and Reta in Saskatoon