To Herbert and back

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2012
      We spent yesterday afternoon enjoying some Mother's Day birding, out at
      the marsh area just north of Herbert (I believe Joel P. told me this is
      known as Francis Lake.)

      En route, we saw various ducks, 3 Swainson's Hawks, a hawk on a nest, 2
      American Crows, Red-winged Blackbirds, & Brown-headed Cowbirds.

      Our first stop was immediately south of the TransCanada Highway at
      Herbert... Our stop there paid off - with the 3 Black-necked Stilts, as
      well as Canada Geese (one pair with 3 young), ducks (Gadwalls, American
      Wigeons, Mallards, Blue-winged Teals, Northern Shovelers, Canvasbacks,
      Green-winged Teals, Lesser Scaups), American Coots, 2 Killdeer, 4
      Sanderlings, a few Wilson's Phalaropes, Franklin's Gulls, 1 American
      Crow, Red-winged Blackbirds, & Brown-headed Cowbirds.

      We then headed across the highway and through Herbert, to the marsh area
      north of town. Between Herbert and the marsh area, we saw 1 Swainson's
      Hawk, 3 Black-billed Magpies, 1 Western Kingbird, & Red-winged
      Blackbirds, a couple Western Meadowlarks.

      We spent the rest of the afternoon at the marsh area.... and it was well
      worth it (even with the wind.) What a beautiful way to spend a Sunday
      afternoon. While there, we saw:

      Canada Geese (including 3 pairs with very young goslings... 6 young, 3
      young, and 1 young)
      Gadwalls, American Wigeons, Mallards, Blue-winged Teals, 3 male Cinnamon
      Teals, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, 1 pr Green-winged Teals,
      Canvasbacks, Redheads, Lesser Scaups, 3 male Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks
      2 Horned Grebes, many Eared Grebes
      1 American Bittern
      1 Black-crowned Night Heron
      1 Northern Harrier
      Sora (heard one)
      many American Coots
      2 American Golden Plovers, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, at
      least 8 Willets, at least 3 Marbled Godwits, 14 Long-billed Dowitchers,
      Wilson's Phalaropes
      many many Franklin's Gulls
      2 American Crows
      Red-winged Blackbirds
      Yellow-headed Blackbirds
      Brown-headed Cowbirds

      Boreal Chorus Frogs (heard only)

      3 Muskrats

      We also had the pleasure of meeting up with Myrna and Joel P. It was
      great to see another vehicle finally stop to take in the awesome sights
      and sounds. Several people drove by while we were there, but no one
      else was stopping to enjoy the jewel they have there. I often wonder if
      these people going by even know what they are missing. (I used to be
      one of 'those' people.)

      Sometime after 5:00PM, we headed back toward Herbert... and saw our
      first Eastern Kingbird of the year. Nice!

      From Herbert to home, we saw the usual roadside birds, including but
      not limited to 3 Swainson's Hawks, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Rock Pigeon, 2
      American Crows, and 1 Black-billed Magpie.

      When we got out of the vehicle at home, we were welcomed by the sights
      and sounds of the Purple Martins and Tree Swallows in our own yard, and
      very vocal House Finch and House Wren singing their love songs.

      It was a great day overall... from start to finish.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W