Need Help!

  • Harv Lane
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
      Howdy,

      Chris Escott is coming to Saskatoon next weekend and is going to have a couple of days to wander around the province.  He has a rather exotic wish list but if you happen to know the where-abouts of any of these birds, could you please send me the specifics and I'll pass them on to Chris.  Actually, most of these birds I would chase myself but ... I guess that's what this site is all about.  Here's his list.

      I am interested in any of Yellow-billed Loon, Red-throated Loon, Common
      Eider, Great Black-backed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-legged
      Kittiwake, Ross' or Ivory Gull, Eurasian Collared Dove, Mountain Chickadee, Clarke's Nutcracker, Steller's Jay, Pinon Jay, Cassin's Finch, or anything really rare.  Any hot tips you can give me will be appreciated.

      Probably the most interesting use for this site would be trip reports from you people as you go on your daily birding trips around the province.  Please include a reasonably specific location ... it makes it easier to put the trip into perspective.

      Cheers,
      Harv

    • Alan Control
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 21, 2000
        Friends:
        As salmon return after years at sea, I will be returning to my home
        town of Arlee where I lived in the early 1940's (it used to be 50
        miles west of Saskatoon--don't know if anyone still lives there.) I
        will be staying in Saskatoon and was wondering what kind of birding I
        might expect on January 1 and 2. Suggestions as to places to visit and
        what might be expected would be appreciated. Any club trips or
        individuals that might go birding that we could join on these days
        would be more than what could be hope for.

        There are two of us who will be visiting.

        Thanks for any help..

        Alan
      • JK Wood
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 21, 2000
          Call Hilda Noton at 1-306-374-0674 to join the Pike Lake count on January
          2nd. This will be an all-day event, car-pooling out of Saskatoon in the
          early morning for the short trip to Pike Lake. Plan to bring a lunch. We
          can usually find warm shelter to comsume same. Daytime highs recently have
          struggled to get above -25ยบ C so be prepared for the worst! Winter birding
          is not for the faint of heart, in case you have forgotten!

          JK Wood
          Saskatoon SK Canada
          Lat. 52.133 N Long. 106.667 W
          jim.wood@...
          Message 4 of 10 , May 17 5:49 PM
            Harv
            Have him email me and send his phone number. I prefer this approach.. I have a phone plan which allows unlimited calling during evenings and weekends.

            Great to have contact. Great yard birds !

            Good Birding
            Bob
            Message 5 of 10 , May 17 6:11 PM
              Hi Bob,

              I just phoned Bernie and he told me a bit more about what's happening.
              He is taking a friend along who is slated for a kidney transplant. This
              friend has always wanted to go to see birds at Chaplin and so Bernie and
              his wife are taking the other couple along for a few days of birding.
              What a nice guy!

              His phone number is (204) 355-4078.

              I really appreciate your help. I explained to him that you are the
              Saskatchewan birding "guru" and you'll know where to send them. He
              sounded pretty interested in a Stilt ... there was one seen there
              lately, wasn't there?

              Cheers,
              Harv
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17 6:51 PM
                Harv
                I talked with Bernie and lined him up with the east end of Thunder Creek Marsh, Chaplin and Reed Lake.

                The Thunder Creek Marsh access continues to be problematic as the best area has no signage.

                This access is the first north road EAST of the well marked Besant Campground entrance. You can see the water well from the highway.

                This road can be impassable IF it is wet. The other roads at Chaplin and Reed Lake are all weather surfaces because they are gravel.

                He may also try for Buff-breasted Sandpipers at Buck Lake plus check the Eurasian Collared Doves and get lunch in Mortlach.

                They will be able to bird these areas from a car and road so his friend will not have to hike.

                I often wonder how many birders just drive by these rich areas without any sense of what is there?

                Take care

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Martin,

                  In California and elsewhere, I often notice that Black Phoebes are
                  present near water bodies. They often fly to the ground and up to a tree
                  near a pond. The white edges of the tail should be visible in flight.

                  Your description sounds like a Black Phoebe to me. Do you notice any
                  motion in the tail when perched?

                  Hope someone can obtain a picture.

                  Stan Shadick

                  Bailey and Bjorklund wrote:

                  > A bird has been seen once or twice out at the golf course in trees by
                  > water
                  > that appears in size and shape to that of a phoebe. However, its head is
                  > all black - a characteristic of the Black Phoebe. When flying it flashes
                  > white edging on its tail.
                  >
                  > Martin.
                  >
                  > p.s. It is not a Slate-coloured Junco.
                  >
                  > --

                • Bailey and Bjorklund

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                      > Martin,
                      >
                      > In California and elsewhere, I often notice that Black Phoebes are
                      > present near water bodies. They often fly to the ground and up to a tree
                      > near a pond. The white edges of the tail should be visible in flight.
                      >
                      > Your description sounds like a Black Phoebe to me. Do you notice any
                      > motion in the tail when perched?

                      Carol and I have not seen it when we were out at 11:00am this morning. John
                      Whitell did at 9am. The first sighting was on Saturday. It was not seen on
                      Sunday.

                      Tail movement was mentioned by Johnnie to Carol on Saturday when he first
                      saw it and was certain that he had seen something different.

                      Martin

                    • Bailey and Bjorklund
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2007
                        The following is a request for information on the migration of Monarchs this
                        year into SK.
                        It is my impression that it is becoming a banner year for them here.
                        Also, we are having Painted Ladies year after year now. Chalk that up to
                        global warming.

                        snip:
                        Hi Martin:

                        Monarchs have been spotted 50 km south of Regina at
                        Lang, Sask. Please let me know when you spot your
                        first ones.

                        Also...a big favour...could you possibly post a note
                        for me on Saskbirds, requesting that birdwatchers who
                        spot monarch butterflies over the next few weeks
                        please contact me at: donald_davis@.... I know
                        that Birding and Butterflying go hand and hand in
                        Ontario and most birders are generous folk who don't
                        mind sharing their field observations.

                        Thanks again.

                        Don Davis
                        Toronto, ON