Regina Birds - American Golden-Plover, etc.

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      Good Evening All,

      On Monday (Apr. 30) I did a brief round of Goose Hill Park and area in
      the morning, and some grids in the afternoon.

      I had at least one Chipping Sparrow calling each from locations of
      General Hospital and Quinn Drive. The university grounds had at least 13
      White-throated Sparrow and a single White-crowned. Other birds on my
      morning stroll around Goose Hill Park included:

      Tree Swallow - 1 brief flyover
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2+
      Swainson's Thrush - 2
      American Robin
      Orange-crowned Warbler - 4
      Yellow-rumped Warbler - 9
      White-throated Sparrow - 3+
      Pine Siskin

      Around 15:30, I did a circuit south of town, heading east from SIAST to
      Monica Slough, down to Twp 164, over a mile and down to Twp 162 (Rowatt
      grid), then back up the highway to Cinema 6 slough and home. Highlights
      included:

      Horned Grebe - Cinema 6
      Eared Grebe - vocal birds at Cinema 6
      Pied-billed Grebe - 1 at Cinema 6
      Western Grebe - 1 at Cinema 6
      American Golden-Plover - 19+ birds E Rowatt (incl 3 with incomplete plumage)
      Marbled Godwit - 2
      Wilson's Phalarope - 1 swimming alone on a slough
      Common Tern - 3 perched and flying at Cinema 6 slough
      Snowy Owl - 1 pure white bird along Rowatt Grid on the large power poles
      Tree Swallow - 4+ feisty birds at Cinema 6, one defending house.
      Savannah Sparrow - 1 foraging bird along Twp 164
      Brewer's Blackbird - several small groups of 2-3 birds (~15 total)
      Yellow-headed Blackbird

      Best of Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Regina, SK