S central Sask and only 1 snowy owl

  • prairiesfran
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2012
      Hio. Was out doing birding/landscape photography yesterday (Friday) from Regina weth my sister,
      #1 to close before Moose Jaw: headed South to Briercrest, Claybank, Avonlea, Bayard, Spring Valley, Oro Lake, Ormiston, Assiniboia and home.

      A quick stop in front of the Leg bldg started the day with Canada Geese and a pair of Mallards

      There were about 20-25 Red tailed hawks from the #1 down to Briercrest. Every 2nd or 3rd pole held one.

      Also in that stretch saw 2 Merlins, one in each tree beside each other, a bald eagle, 1 Snowy Owl! 1 Western Meadowlark on the wire.

      A few miles N of Briercrest, just off the highway, there were a lot of Snow Geese feeding... http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/prairiesfranni/?action=view¤t=MVI_0927.mp4
      is a short 10 second movie, safe link to photobucket.

      Overall we saw over 1,000 snow geese in many flocks.

      Near Bayard: another Western Meadowlark

      Between Spring Valley and Assiniboia:

      a few more red-tailed hawks, 1 Northern Harrier, 1 Rough legged hawk, 3 more Merlins, 4 more Mallards, 1 Great horned Owl, a tree with 5 Grackles, house and tree sparrows, a lot of horned larks, and a lot of Canada Geese.

      Unfortunatly, 1 dead coyote just a few miles W of Avonlea.

      for those lepidopterists: 2 Mourning Cloaks, 1 Milbert's Tortoiseshell.

      Franni in Regina
    • prairiesfran
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2012
        the tree with 5 grackles = the tree with 5 starlings.