The Tisdale Gray-crowned Rosy-finch

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 10:11 PM
      Good Evening All,

      This morning, Dan Sawatzky and I headed up to Tisdale to observe the
      Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch recently reported for Tisdale, SK (the e-bird
      report mistakenly refers to the address as Melfort CA).

      We had three Snowy Owls on the way up along Highway #6, a flock of
      Bohemian Waxwings north of Regina, one Northern Shrike perched about a
      km south of the intersection of 6 & 731 south of Serath, several Horned
      Larks, Common Ravens and a Black-billed Magpie.

      In Tisdale, we had several excellent views of the Rosy-finch after
      waiting for about 15 minutes at the house. It is with a large flock of
      House Sparrows. We also observed one Common Redpoll. [As an aside, after
      first observing this species in Alberta a few years ago, I was pleased
      to finally add a very beautiful bird #299 to my Sask list!]

      The owner of the house was friendly, and mentioned that he had just
      starting noticing the bird in the last few days, although the neighbours
      also have a feeder. The bird appears to be a female (judging by lack of
      colour in wings and somewhat more drab than expected of a male) of the
      interior race.

      On the way home we had a few Common Ravens at Greenwater PP (nothing
      else), and a Snowy Owl a way south of Wadena.

      Best of Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Regina, SK