unsolicited emails

  • Gord'n'Maureen
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
      Hello folks,
      It would seem that one of you has an infected (virus) computer. The reason I say this is that this morning, I received several unsolicited emails from a “yahoo.com” email account I am not familiar with. I am very careful about who I receive emails from and can say (from many years of experience) that this is not some random chance. This definitely came from one of you.
      Therefore, I suggest you run virus scans on your computers to check things out and ensure you don’t have a virus/trojan on board. One of the emails is from a “Ervin Miranda”, another is from “Gerard Wilson” and the subject line in both emails starts with “FWD:”.
      Thank you for your attention to this.
      Gord Bryson

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
        Interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would have come from a message line as all messages are addressed to the same main email. For example your email below doesn't show as complete so a "search robot" couldn't pull it off. I would think it would have to be someone who wrote to you directly - possibly off the message line. That would make it easier to check.

        Kevin

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

        > Hello folks,
        > It would seem that one of you has an infected (virus) computer. The reason I say this is that this morning, I received several unsolicited emails from a “yahoo.com” email account I am not familiar with. I am very careful about who I receive emails from and can say (from many years of experience) that this is not some random chance. This definitely came from one of you.
        > Therefore, I suggest you run virus scans on your computers to check things out and ensure you don’t have a virus/trojan on board. One of the emails is from a “Ervin Miranda”, another is from “Gerard Wilson” and the subject line in both emails starts with “FWD:”.
        > Thank you for your attention to this.
        > Gord Bryson

      • Gord'n'Maureen
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
          The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.

          I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So it’s someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.

          Gord

          --- In mailto:Saskbirds%40yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

          > Hello folks,
          > It would seem that one of you has an infected (virus) computer. The reason I say this is that this morning, I received several unsolicited emails from a “yahoo.com” email account I am not familiar with. I am very careful about who I receive emails from and can say (from many years of experience) that this is not some random chance. This definitely came from one of you.
          > Therefore, I suggest you run virus scans on your computers to check things out and ensure you don’t have a virus/trojan on board. One of the emails is from a “Ervin Miranda”, another is from “Gerard Wilson” and the subject line in both emails starts with “FWD:”.
          > Thank you for your attention to this.
          > Gord Bryson

        • clh459
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
            Just a thought.....Has anyone else in the group got these, as I havent? If no one else has then I would say it came from elsewhere and not the group. Could be just coincidence that it happened after you joined the group.

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

            > The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.
            >
            > I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So it’s someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.
            >
            > Gord

          • William Davenport
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
              None for me.
              Bill
              Saskatoon
              Just a thought.....Has anyone else in the group got these, as I havent? If no one else has then I would say it came from elsewhere and not the group. Could be just coincidence that it happened after you joined the group.

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

              > The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.
              >
              > I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So itâ?Ts someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.
              >
              > Gord

            • Jack Monteith
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                Non here either.
              • Don Wilson
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Nor here.

                  --
                  http://www.stsk.ca Small Town Saskatchewan - Videos from the Heartland
                  http://www.Crowsnest-Highway.ca The Virtual Crowsnest Highway
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                    Well, it would seem I’m the only one. Lucky me! lol

                    Sorry to bother you with this then.

                    Gord

                    Just a thought.....Has anyone else in the group got these, as I havent? If no one else has then I would say it came from elsewhere and not the group. Could be just coincidence that it happened after you joined the group.

                    --- In mailto:Saskbirds%40yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

                    > The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.
                    >
                    > I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So itâ?Ts someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.
                    >
                    > Gord

                  • Joseph Stookey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                      HI,

                      I don't get unsolicited emails, but I notice that the messages I send to this group come back to me and are automatically placed in my "spam" folder.  They don't show up on my regular list of e-mails from this group.  Now granted my messages may not be that important, but really - should they be considered "spam"?  :) Does that happen to anyone else?  Why is that happening?

                      Sorry for the questions, but since we were discussing unsolicited message, I thought I might as well ask.

                      Thanks,

                      Joe

                      ________________________________
                      Just a thought.....Has anyone else in the group got these, as I havent? If no one else has then I would say it came from elsewhere and not the group. Could be just coincidence that it happened after you joined the group.

                      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

                      > The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.
                      >
                      > I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So itâ?Ts someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.
                      >
                      > Gord

                    • clh459
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                        Mine go there to but all the others from the group are ok so I never worried about it as I knew about the ones I wrote anyways haha. It is good to know I am not the only one that does it

                        Carol
                        http://users.accesscomm.ca/carolsplace/

                        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stookey <joseph.stookey@...> wrote:

                        > HI,
                        >
                        > I don't get unsolicited emails, but I notice that the messages I send to this group come back to me and are automatically placed in my "spam" folder.  They don't show up on my regular list of e-mails from this group.  Now granted my messages may not be that important, but really - should they be considered "spam"?  :) Does that happen to anyone else?  Why is that happening?
                        >
                        > Sorry for the questions, but since we were discussing unsolicited message, I thought I might as well ask.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Joe
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Gord'n'Maureen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                          It happens because your spam filter has probably been set so that anything coming from Yahoo.com or anything with Yahoo in it is to go directly to that directory Joe.

                          You can change it by checking out your options, your virus scanner, or your email filters. It all depends on which software package you are using for your email.

                          There is usually an “unblocked” list and a “blocked” list of either email accounts (joseph.stookey@...) or domain names (ie. Yahoo.com). I trust someone else set up your computer?

                          Gord

                          Just a thought.....Has anyone else in the group got these, as I havent? If no one else has then I would say it came from elsewhere and not the group. Could be just coincidence that it happened after you joined the group.

                          --- In mailto:Saskbirds%40yahoogroups.com, "Gord'n'Maureen" <bryth@...> wrote:

                          > The problem is that it came from a Yahoo email address Kevin. So someone has access to the Saskbirds emailing list and has (more than likely) sent out these phishing (as opposed to virus/trojan) emails.
                          >
                          > I remembered today that I also ran into this shortly after I joined the Regina_FreeCycle Yahoo group. So itâ?Ts someone accessing the groups somehow and using us all as targets.
                          >
                          > Gord

                        • Gord'n'Maureen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                            You and Joe are among the few who are honest enough to admit it Carol! lol

                            Gord